• Published 18th Apr 2013
  • 2,259 Views, 456 Comments

Ponywatching - ThunderTempest



Stories from TMP prompts

  • ...
4
 456
 2,259

PreviousChapters Next
Prompt #391-Remembering War

“Princess Celestia!” said a member of the Royal Guard, as he ran into the throne room at Canterlot Castle, “The negotiations have broken down. The minotaurs have declared war.”

The Sun Princess was silent for a while as she processed this information, finishing her signature on another official document.

“And what of my Sister, my little pony?” asked Celestia, “What happened to Luna?”

“Our apologies, Princess,” said the guardspony, bowing, “but we were unable to prevent her from being captured. She fought well, taking down several of the Bullhead’s Honour Guard before finally succumbing.”

Once more, silence reigned in the throne room of Canterlot Castle. When Princess Celestia spoke, it was with all the authority and experience of her millennia long rule.

“Sound the alerts, my little pony. Send out the messages, and beat the drums. Equestria did not want to, but to preserve our way of life, Equestria will go to war if we have to.”

“Yes, Princess,” replied the guard, bowing once more, and running from the throne room.

Over the next few weeks, the entire of Equestria began to shift from a peaceful gatherer nation to preparing for war. Blacksmiths all across the country were suddenly receiving more orders for armor and arms than they were farming equipment or kitchen knives. Weather ponies found themselves receiving instruction on the use of lightning as an offensive weapon, and the entire city of Cloudsdale turned from weather factory to war forge. Recruiting centers were set up in every major city, and began accepting anypony over age who wanted to help. Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns began teaching the older students both destructive and healing spells.

Even the Princesses themselves were not immune to the shift, as Twilight’s weekly magic sessions with Princess Celestia now included a healthy repertoire of war spells for her to learn. Up in the Crystal Empire, Prince-by-Marriage Shining Armor began ruthlessly drilling what he could into the Crystal Ponies, in an attempt to provide more troops to take the hit of a minotaur charge, while Princess Cadence underwent a tough magic-strengthening routine, trying to boost her magic levels for any possible advantage.

****Time****

The day had finally come. The day when the world would see if the Equestrians still had the mastery of war that they once did, the mastery that had allowed them to drive out the griffons aeons ago. The ponies all lined up, armored and armed, as ready as they ever could be. Three alicorns strode among the ranks of ponies, who had not two months ago been farmers, shopkeepers and weather ponies but were now soldiers and healers, all committed to defending their home to the last.

A horn sounded through the mists that had settled on the plains where the ponies waited.

“Ranks, spears!” bellowed the captains, and the first two ranks of earth ponies leveled spears, locking them in place.

“Archers, ready!” behind the spearponies, unicorns notched arrow to bow, and signaled their readiness.

“May the princesses watch over us,” muttered several of the captains, as the foreign horns sounded again, and the earth began to shake under the pound of foreign hooves.

Author's Note:

Written for Prompt #391-‘Horns and Hooves and Tails, Oh My!’
The Prompt: The minotaurs are coming. (Or the minotaurs are here; I’ll accept either one.)

PreviousChapters Next