• Published 18th Apr 2013
  • 2,257 Views, 456 Comments

Ponywatching - ThunderTempest



Stories from TMP prompts

  • ...
4
 456
 2,257

PreviousChapters Next
Prompt #565-Her Best or Worst Idea Ever

“She’s the strongest pony I ever knew,” said Twilight, before pausing for a moment. “Well, at least, she was.” The room was decked out in swathes of colour at Twilight’s friends insistence, despite the sombre atmosphere, and all the bright colours did little to alleviate it. It weighted heavily over everypony in the room, pressing down in an inexorable and slow crush, and Fluttershy had already broken, sobbing into her kerchief as Pinkie Pie, her mane hanging straight for once, hugged the animal caretaker, and tears were already leaking from the pink pony’s own eyes. Rarity appeared to be barely holding back her own tears, and Applejack had taken her hat off and was holding it against her chest, her eyes closed.

“When I first arrived in Ponyville, Rainbow Dash told me that she could clear a sky in ten seconds flat, and that she would never leave Ponyville hanging. In her final acts, she put deeds to words, and demonstrated that she was truly a paragon of loyalty. Nopony expected that Wild Storm to show up, or that it would develop so quickly. But Rainbow Dash never hesitated for one minute, and she dived right in, not willing to let anypony else risk the storm.”

Sitting next to the four of Twilight’s friends was a selection of the Wonderbolts, including Spitfire, all in full dress uniform, holding silent and still, though Twilight could make out a few tears glistening at the edge of Soarin’s eyes.

“Rainbow Dash’s final Sonic Rainboom dispersed the storm before anypony else could get hurt. Unfortunately, the storm claimed Rainbow before she could land,” Twilight paused to wipe a tear from her own eye. “Thank you. Would anypony else like to speak?”

As Twilight stepped down from the podium, Spitfire stepped up, causing a murmur to run though the hall. Spitfire took a moment to clear her throat, and glanced down at the open casket, where Rainbow Dash was resting, a small, content smile on her face, and her wings folded against her sides, though even from that position, Spitfire could see where the lightning had struck. Turning back to face the gathered audience of ponies, Spitfire sighed.

“Rainbow Dash was one of the most promising cadets the Wonderbolts have ever seen, on par with Firefly herself, and her strength in her flight was only surpassed by the strength of her will and conviction. Shortly before she tackled this rouge storm, she was put through a practice tryout in preparation for her actual one, which would have been four months from now. As she is no longer able to take this, it is only fitting that I present it now.” Spitfire unrolled a scroll on the podium.

“By the power invested in me as Captain of the Wonderbolts, I, Spitfire declare that Rainbow Dash shall be posthumously accepted into the Wonderbolts, in light of her stellar performance both at the Wonderbolt Academy of Advanced Flight, and during preparation for her tryout.” Spitfire produced a golden pin, only given to Wonderbolts, and gingerly placed it on Rainbow Dash’s chest in the coffin.

“On a more personal note, in light of Rainbow Dash’s attitude and because of several remarks that she made during the final few training sessions, The Wonderbolts, both as individuals and as a whole, will be making a concerted effort to change some of our behaviours. Thank you.”

After Spitfire’s speech, nopony else dared to step up, and with that, the ceremony was declared concluded.

[Time]

*****

Spitfire sat in her office, her hooves mindlessly stamping her seal of approval on various bits of paperwork. Though she would never admit it to anypony, Rainbow Dash’s death had hit her particularly hard. The young flier was practically a shoe-in for Wonderbolt Captain one day. Or at least, she had been. Rainbow Dash reminded Spitfire of why she had wanted to join the Wonderbolts in the first place: the sheer, unbridled joy of flight, of being the best at what she could do and working with others to accomplish the seemingly impossible.

There was a knock at the door, and Spitfire called out for the pony to enter. It was only the mailpony, a blue mare with her hat covering most of her mane, and a pair of sunglasses over her eyes, presumably to protect her eyes from the sun’s glare this high up.

The mail mare plonked a bundle of letters on Spitfire’s desk, and left the office as Spitfire sorted through the letters.

Bill, junk, appearance request, appearance request, bill, unmarked letter, appearance request, bill...wait, what?

Spitfire went back to the plain envelope, and studied it carefully. There were no identifying markings, nothing to identify where the letter was from. Cautiously, she opened it. After nothing happened, Spitfire pulled out the letter, and something else fell out: a Wonderbolt Pin.

‘Thanks,’ began the letter, ‘But I’d rather earn one the right way, you know? Also, nice speech.’

There was no signature, but there didn’t need to be, and Spitfire suddenly realised exactly who the mail mare had been, and she tore out of her office.

As she flew back down to Ponyville, Rainbow Dash cackled.

“Best. Prank. Ever!”

Author's Note:

Written for Prompt #565: “Strength Means Many Things”
The prompt: She is the strongest I ever knew.

Rainbow Dash reading Tom Sawyer would be a bad thing.
What would Tom Sawyer's pony equivalent be, anyway?

PreviousChapters Next