• Published 18th Apr 2013
  • 2,253 Views, 456 Comments

Ponywatching - ThunderTempest



Stories from TMP prompts

  • ...
4
 456
 2,253

PreviousChapters Next
Prompt #523: Social Manipulation

Rarity strode into an upscale restaurant in the heart of Canterlot wearing nothing but a modest hat, though only Rarity herself would have described it as such. She threaded her way through the maze of tables, and joined Rainbow Dash at one of the more private tables near the back of the restaurant.

“So, finally realized that I don’t care what you dress up in, hey Rare?”

“Absolute nonsense!” declared Rarity, “I am simply using this delightful dinner with you to show off my newest line: Vintage Casual!”

Rainbow blinked.

“Rarity, you’re not wearing anything apart from that silly hat.”

“Vintage Casual!” insisted Rarity, with a wink at Rainbow.

Rainbow just rolled her eyes.

“Sure, Vintage casual. Whatever you say, Rare,” said Rainbow, turning back to her menu.

The meal progressed, and Rarity alternated between listening to Rainbow talk about the Wonderbolts and her training regimen and its distinct lack of pizza, and keeping one ear out on the aspiring social climbers around her. In the background chatter, she could hear ponies occasionally mention her name, and her self-proclaimed new style, and she smiled.

Later, as Rainbow and Rarity were heading back to the Canterlot Boutique, Rainbow turned to Rarity.

“So, you mind explaining what the heck ‘vintage casual’ is, Rare?”

“Think of it as an experiment, Rainbow. I hold a not inconsiderable weight in the fashion world, though most ponies, especially here in Canterlot, will deny that I do. So on occasion, I see what I can convice the ponies of Canterot is fashionable.”

Rainbow Dash thought for a moment, and Rarity waited. She knew that Rainbow wasn’t stupid, but it did sometimes take her a while to grasp concepts that she wasn’t intimately familiar with. As Rarity waited, a smile spread across Rainbow’s face.

“So basically,” said Rainbow, “you’re pranking them. It’s just a really high-class prank.”

“In essence, yes,” said Rarity.

“Totally cool, Rares,” said Rainbow.

Author's Note:

Written for Prompt #523: "Vintage Casual"

The prompt: Rarity dresses down
or
The prompt: My fondest memory

PreviousChapters Next