• Published 18th Apr 2013
  • 2,232 Views, 456 Comments

Ponywatching - ThunderTempest



Stories from TMP prompts

  • ...
4
 456
 2,232

PreviousChapters Next
Prompt #32: Alternative

“Hello, Sunset Shimmer.”

“Ah! Princess Celestia, I didn’t see you there!” said Sunset, as she attempted to extract herself out of the pile of paperwork on her desk.

“Please, there is no need for that. This is just an informal visit,” said Princess Celestia, a gentle smile growing on her face. “How are you finding your new position?”

“When I told you that I wanted something more practical, this wasn’t what I had in mind, Princess,” grumbled Sunset.

“But you took to it so well. Sunset Shimmer, Practical Magic tutor. I do see the reports from the other teachers, you know. They’ve been saying wonderful things about you,” said Celestia. Despite herself, Sunset couldn’t entirely hid the blush that came with the Princess complimenting you.

“And perhaps it was for the best,” sighed Celestia, “you were more than ready to make your own way in the world. But how are you doing? How is your class?”

Sunset sighed, knowing what Celestia was here for.

“I’m taking to this teaching thing pretty well. As for my class, it’s a little weird being on the other side of the teacher’s desk. And Twilight Sparkle is doing just fine.”

“Now, Sunset,” admonished Celestia.

“I’m sorry, Princess,” said Sunset, “it’s just that I used to be your student, and now she is, and I know that she deserves it, but,”

“I understand, Sunset,” said Celestia, “as long as it doesn’t affect your teaching of her.”

Sunset shook her head. “Of course not, Princess. I can see why she’s your student.”

“Tell me, how do the other teachers get along with her?” asked Celestia.

“She’s a great student. She’s smart, talented, has a natural grasp of magic theory, though she’s often prone to asking questions beyond the course. A few teachers have had problems with that,” said Sunset. Celestia nodded.

“Well, thank you for your time, Sunset. And please, remember that if you ever want to talk, I’m always available for you. You may not be my student anymore, but I do hope that we can be friends.”

“I’ll...think about it, Princess.”

“That’s all that I ask, Sunset,” smiled Celestia.

******

Sunset Shimmer woke up in a sweat, and looked out her open window in the direction of Canterlot High School, and its closed portal in the base of the statue. Not for the first time, she wondered if she had made the right choice by running into the mirror world.

Of course she had. Celestia was holding her back, keeping her from her full power. And Twilight Sparkle being Celestia’s student? Like that would ever happen. Sunset remembered the young unicorn, and she was smart, but not much else. She didn’t have the power that Sunset did.

Still, there wasn’t much she could do now. She just had to settle down and wait for thirty moons, and start her domination of the silly school.

Author's Note:

Written for Prompt #32: Theme Week, Day One
The prompt: In a different reality, I could have called you friend.

PreviousChapters Next