• Published 18th Apr 2013
  • 2,253 Views, 456 Comments

Ponywatching - ThunderTempest



Stories from TMP prompts

  • ...
4
 456
 2,253

PreviousChapters Next
Legacy Prompt #33: Longer Than Expected

Twilight sighed as she stepped off the train from Canterlot. Ponyville had felt like home for a long time for her, and she always felt a sense of relief whenever she came back into the town. Even when she’d only been away for a week or so. Or that was what Twilight thought-she had lost track of time in the Archives, as most of the inner rooms were kept illuminated by light spells.

As Twilight walked from the train station, heading back toward her castle, there was sensation that something was wrong about Ponyville. She couldn’t put her hoof on it, but Twilight shrugged, and moved on. She was looking forward to seeing her friends again, but first, she really needed a shower.

Refreshed, her bags deposited in the empty castle, Twilight headed back towards Ponyville. It was a little odd that Spike hadn’t been in the castle, but Twilight supposed she would find him at Rarity’s. And Rarity did sound like a good first visit, especially if she was going to find Spike. As she walked through town, Twilight was struck once more by how different the citizens of Ponyville treated their resident Princess. In Canterlot, Twilight couldn’t walk five meters without some noble trying to accost her. The Ponyville ponies seemed to be content with wilful ignorance, ignoring the fact that Twilight Sparkle was an alicorn until they absolutely had to remember. And Twilight was glad for that.

As she approached the boutique, Twilight cocked her head to one side. Had Rarity repainted or changed the design? The Boutique wasn’t quite matching up with her memory of it. With a shrug, Twilight knocked on the door, and only opened it once Rarity’s voice sang out the invitation to come inside.

“Hello Rarity,” said Twilight, striding into the Boutique. From behind her sewing machine, Rarity blinked.

“Twilight!” said Rarity, practically leaping out from behind her worktable, and embracing the alicorn. “Oh, it’s so good to see you at last! We all feared you had left us behind for Canterlot!”

“Rarity, I only said I was going to be gone a week,” said Twilight, her face scrunching up in confusion, trying to remember how many times she’d seen the sun rise since departing Ponyville.

“Oh, I know the feeling, Twilight. You just get so wrapped up in a project that it’s all that you can think about, and we understand that. But you might have at least sent us a letter telling us that you were going to be there longer than you expected,” said Rarity.

“I was only there for a week, Rarity. Maybe two at the outside,” said Twilight. Rarity wrapped a hoof around Twilight.

“Twilight, dear, you were gone for three months,” said Rarity, as Twilight’s mouth dropped open. “Things have changed around here since you left.” To emphasise her point, Rarity guestured around the Boutique. Before, it had been filled with elegant dresses, and a smattering of suits for the stallions, but now, every article of clothing was made out of plaid.

Before Rarity could explain why, Twilight Sparkle vanished in a burst of purple. Rarity guessed that she was going to go and check on the rest of their friends, and decided that she could use a break anyway, and headed out.

The closest thing to Rarity’s boutique was Rainbow Dash’s house, but Twilight knew that it was unlikely that she’d find Rainbow there. So instead, Twilight teleported straight up. Over Ponyville, it would be easier to spot the pegasus, and sure enough, Twilight soon caught sight of the familiar rainbow contrail, and angled herself toward it, calling out to Rainbow.

Twilight soon found herself swept up by the pegasus, who was wearing the uniform of a delivery company.

“Yeah,” sighed Rainbow, once Twilight questioned her on it, “turns out, doing a ground-level sonic rainboom was not my best idea. Every bit that I earn goes to paying for the repairs. Gotta go, Twi. Deliveries to make, and all.”

As Rainbow raced off, Twilight vanished in another flash of purple. She reappeared outside of Fluttershy’s cottage, which was completely empty. Several of the windows were broken, the door was unlocked, and only animals remained.

Another teleport deposited Twilight in Pinkie Pie’s room, where she found a note.

‘Dear Twilight,’ it read, ‘I have gone back to the rock farm so that I can be with Rocky. He wants a traditional wedding, and only my Dad can speak rock. Won’t be back for a really long time-rock weddings take ages. Your friend, Pinkie Pie.’ Twilight vanished one last time.

She burst into existence again at Sweet Apple Acres, and headed for the house. However, before she could reach it, she ran into Big Macintosh by the barn near the house.

“Oh, Big Mac!” said Twilight, “is Applejack around?”

“Nnope,” rumbled the stallion.

“Do you know where she is?”

“Eeyup.”

“And where is she?” asked Twilight. Big Macintosh paused for a moment.

“Manehatten,” he eventually rumbled, “gone t’ talk with the Oranges.”

“Oh,” said Twilight, “Alright. Thanks anyway, Big Mac.”

“Eeyup.”

****Time****

Twilight Sparkle took flight, heading back over toward Ponyville. Big Mac walked into the barn, and closed the door.

“Is she gone?” hissed a voice.

“Eeyup,” said Big Mac.

“Hoo-ee!” said Applejack, poking her head out of the bale of hay that she’d been hiding in, “Ain’t never had to hide in the hay for a right long time like that before!”

“I dunno, I thought it was super-fun!” said Pinkie Pie. Applejack chuckled, and pulled her hat off Pinkie’s head.

“Are you sure that this is alright?” said Fluttershy, floating down from the upstairs loft, “I mean, I don’t want this to upset Twilight.”

“Nah, she’ll be fine once we tell her. But seriously, this was the best idea ever,” grinned Rainbow Dash, having come through the open window. There was a knock at the door of the barn, and after checking who it was, Big Macintosh let Rarity inside.

“Right, Twilight is heading back to the castle. Shall we go and put her mind at ease?” said Rarity. “After all, she was only gone ten days.” With that, the five friends headed off towards Ponyville.

Author's Note:

Written for Legacy Prompt #33: The Return, on the TMP Group Forums.

The prompt: Just how long have I been gone?

PreviousChapters Next