• Published 18th Apr 2013
  • 2,250 Views, 456 Comments

Ponywatching - ThunderTempest



Stories from TMP prompts

  • ...
4
 456
 2,250

PreviousChapters Next
Prompt #296: By Appointment

Lemon Song bolted down the long marble corridors. She’d been about to head home when the call for her to report to the throne room had come. If fact, she had nearly been outside Canterlot Castle when the messenger caught up with her. The princesses wanted to see her, the second-best speechwriter in the employ of the princesses, and the word ‘immediately’ had been stressed several times.

With the ease of long practice, she turned onto the last stretch and let herself slide, skidding past the throne room guards, and coming to a comfortable stop at the correct distance from the throne. However, the second-best speechwriter in Canterlot Castle was confronted not with just Princess Celestia, as she had expected, but also Princess Luna and Princess Cadence. A quick glance out of the window confirmed that the sun was still technically in the sky, so therefore;

“Princess Celestia,” said Lemon Song, bowing her head, before turning to Princess Luna and Princess Cadence in turn. “Princess Luna; Princess Cadence.”

“Rise, my little pony,” said Princess Celestia, “and do take a few breaths.”

Lemon Song took a deep breath to steady her breathing from her dash as she rose from her bow.

“Princess, why have you summoned me? Was there a problem with my last speech?”

“No, Lemon Song,” said Princess Celestia, “your work has always been exemplary in every possible way. We have recently been made aware of an issue that needs addressing, thanks to Princess Cadence.”

“Does Princess Cadence need her own speechwriter? I will happily-,”

“Hold, Lemon Song,” said Princess Luna, “It is not Princess Cadence who is in need of your skills. Rather, it is Princess Twilight. And ‘twas I who recommended you for this position.”

Lemon Song blinked.

“But I thought that Princess Twilight didn’t need a speechwriter. She denied selecting one,” said Lemon Song.

“Princess Twilight is still new to the world of being a Princess of Equestria. And while she has, on occasion, performed well with her own written speeches, she needs a more experienced hoof.”

“And quite honestly,” said Princess Cadence, “she can be very long-winded if given the chance. To an extent, she still believes that when it comes to public speaking, that more words and the most technical terms possible makes her appear more intelligent. It was adorable when she was eight, but now it annoys ponies and occasionally puts them to sleep. She needs somepony who can make her both get the point across and make her actually stick to a script when it is required. Princess Luna assured us that you are capable of these things.”

Both Princess Celestia and Luna looked over at Cadence, eyebrows raised.

“I foalsat her, Aunties. I can say these things.”

“I will accept the position as Princess Twilight’s speechwriter,” sighed Lemon Song.

“Excellent,” said Princess Celestia, “I have instructed my personal chariot to take you down to Ponyville when you are ready.”

*********

“A speechwriter?” cried Princess Twilight Sparkle, “But I’ve always done fine on my own!”

“Princess Twilight, I read your last speech,” said Lemon Song, “and I was yawning before the end of the first paragraph, and by eyewitness accounts, you put eighteen ponies to sleep in the first three minutes.”

“But I thought it was really interesting! I mean, I went into the history of the event and...”

“Allow me to stop you there, Princess,” said Lemon Song, holding up a hoof, “nopony, and I do mean nopony, wants fifteen pages of history in a commencement speech. Fortunately for you, I was the second-best speechwriter in Canterlot Castle. If anypony can get you really sounding like a princess, it’s me. And before you say anything more, Princess Celestia asked me to give you this,” continued Lemon Song, hoofing over a wrapped scroll to Twilight. Twilight snapped open the letter, and pouted as she read the contents, before letting out a sigh that seemed to completely deflate her.

“I suppose that it can’t hurt to try it your way for a while, Lemon Song,” said Twilight, “I’ll find an office for you, so come on inside.”

Author's Note:

Written for Prompt #296: “True Ponyville Story”

The prompt: Behind the scenes.

PreviousChapters Next