• Published 18th Apr 2013
  • 2,257 Views, 456 Comments

Ponywatching - ThunderTempest



Stories from TMP prompts

  • ...
4
 456
 2,257

PreviousChapters Next
Prompt #178: In The Face

Rarity seethed as the duchess left the Boutique in Canterlot. How many times did Rarity have to make it clear that she would really rather not play the social games? In a perfect world, her dresses would attract clients and fame without her having to subject herself to the pit that was the Canterlot social scene, but Rarity was all too aware that it was not what a pony was wearing, it was who they were wearing, and Rarity wanted the answer to that question to be her.

Thus, she had to subject herself to playing the social games required. Taking one, two, three deep breaths, Rarity composed herself, bottling up her anger until she could release it safely. The bell above the door tinkled, and Rarity turned, ready to begin her usual pre-sales pitch greeting, and was tackled off her hooves, lips closing over her own. Rarity briefly noted that they tasted like clouds and sweat.

“Must you, Rainbow Dash?” Rarity sighed, once the pegasus had finished demonstrating her quite remarkable breath control.

“Like you don’t like it, Rarity,” said Rainbow Dash, settling back into a hover.

“That is utterly beside the point, and you know it, Rainbow Dash! And what did I tell you about flying in the boutique?”

“Okay, what’s wrong?” said Rainbow, “you only get this snippy when something’s bothering you.”

Rarity sighed again, “It’s the duchess again. She is somehow convinced that I stand as a threat to her, and I quote, ‘unassailable rule over the nobles of Canterlot’. To that end, she is no doubt working as hard as she can to drive me out of business.”

“You want me to punch her in the face?” asked Rainbow, wrapping Rarity in a hug, “Cause she tried to bribe me, you know. I kind of want to punch her.”

“The thought is appreciated, but that will hardly help the situation,” said Rarity, “no, I just need to forget about her for a while. Perhaps some dashing pony will help me by taking me out to dinner?” Rarity fluttered her eyelashes at Rainbow.

“Where are we going, and what time are the reservations that you’ve already made?” sighed Rainbow Dash.

*****

“You have no idea how much stress I have been under this week, Rainbow. With the Manehatten Fashion week coming up soon, I need to present my absolute best work, and then there’s all the other ponies who want me to make my own brand of haute coture for them, well, let us simply say that there have been a few long nights for me. And that’s not even counting the trouble the duchess has been causing,” said Rarity, sipping at her glass of wine, across from Rainbow Dash, who was contenting herself with water.’

“I still think you should let me punch her in the face, Rares. Nopony screws with Rarity on my watch. Unless it’s me,” grinned Rainbow. Rarity rolled her eyes at the innuendo, and Rainbow’s accompanying eyebrow waggle.

“Really, Rainbow. Must you be so uncouth? You might consider using your tongue for things other than speaking, you know,” said Rarity, a similar grin on her face. Rainbow’s smile only got wider.

“Oh my, If it isn’t Miss Rarity and the Wonderbolt from Ponyville,” came an unpleasant voice, from an even more unpleasant pony, “you are aware that this is supposed to be a high-class restaurant, yes?”

“Duchess,” said Rarity, gritting her teeth, “how pleasant to see you again.”

“Do hush, I wasn’t talking to you. You, Wonderbolt. This is a high-class restaurant, not meant for somepony of your standing.”

“That’s funny,” said Rainbow Dash, “because last I checked, I’m better liked than you are. You know, me being awesome and everything. Also, Spitfire would like to have a word with you at some point about you trying to bribe me. Now go away.”

“You know nothing of me, you silly little pegasus. Go back to the backwater town that you,” the duchess never got a chance to finish her insult, because Rainbow Dash had vaulted over the table, and punched the duchess in the face.

“Leave us alone,” growled Rainbow Dash, as the duchess staggered back, unused to physical violence, “or you’re gonna get a lot worse than that. Let’s go, Rarity. I’m feeling a little cramped in here.”

****Time****

“Really, Rainbow, that was hardly necessary,” said Rarity, as the two sat on a rooftop a few streets over from the restaurant, “appreciated, and terribly heroic, but not necessary.”

“She was annoying me,” said Rainbow, “it was supposed to just be the two of us tonight, and she shoves her nose in.”
Rarity sighed, and leant up against Rainbow. Tomorrow, she would have to do damage control, and probably explain to the guard that Rainbow had been provoked, as well as apologise to the restaurant, if she was even allowed back inside. But all that could wait.

For now, it was just the two of them, watching the moon rise over Canterlot’s rooftops.

Author's Note:

Written for Prompt #178: “Souls On High”

The prompt:
You and me with the windows down
You and me out and killing this town
You and me with our souls on ten
It’s just you and me again.

PreviousChapters Next