• Published 18th Apr 2013
  • 2,258 Views, 456 Comments

Ponywatching - ThunderTempest



Stories from TMP prompts

  • ...
4
 456
 2,258

PreviousChapters Next
Prompt #530: Weight

Twilight Sparkle looked up at the giant golem.

“Only one of you may proceed,” it rumbled, “the Arcanix will only be bound to one pony, and only that pony may undergo the test of Truth.”

Behind her, Twilight’s companions muttered among themselves, trying to decide which of them would undergo whatever the test was. However, Twilight already had an inkling of what it would involve, and stepped fowards.

“I will submit myself to the test,” said Twilight. Five gasps came from behind her, but one by one, they all backed out of the chamber, leaving only Twilight, and the golem.

“That you willingly submit tells me much, alicorn. However, it is not me that you must impress,” said the golem, pulling a lever on the wall. A section of the stone slid down into the floor, revealing a pair of scales, built from the finest metal that Twilight had seen in a long while.

“The test of Truth. These scales will determine the truth of your heart, alicorn.”

“How do they do that?” asked Twilight.

“You may either cast your magic into one of these jars and revealing the truth of your heart that way,” said the golem, indicating the clay jars scattered around the chamber, “or you may use the water. This is done by taking the water into your mouth, holding for no less than thirty seconds while thinking upon your reasons, and spit into the jar. The truth will reveal itself. If you are lying, the scales will tip towards your side, and you will be denied entry. Your heart shall be tested against mine. If the scale tips to my side, your heart is less burdened and false than mine, and you may pass.”

“I see,” said Twilight, nodding to herself, “would you mind going first, so that I may observe?” The golem nodded, and selected a jar from among the many identical ones. Magic swirled from the golem, filling the jar nearly to the brim with a iridescent liquid that was not quite there. The golem thumped over to the scales, and placed the jar onto the rightmost pan of the scales, before stepping back to allow Twilight access to the scales.

Twilight selected her jar, one with a wide mouth, and presented her back to the golem. The golem watched as Twilight appeared to thump her chest, and then cast her magic into the jar. It stood perfectly still, as Twilight placed her own jar upon the scales. She nodded to the golem, and it reached up and removed the pin holding the scales level. Almost immediately, the scales tipped toward the golem’s side. Had the golem actually been able to emote, it would have expressed surprise in some form. Never before had it seen such a quick reaction on the scales, in its many years of watching over the Arcanix.

“Alicorn, you have passed the test of truth. Go forth, and claim your prize, and use it well.”

Twilight nodded, and her horn lit up again. The golem watched as an actual heart floated out of the jar. With a sickening crack, Twilight’s magic yanked on her chest, opening up her ribcage, and shoving her heart back inside. The golem moved to block Twilight’s path. Twilight simply smiled up at the golem.

“Well, you did say it was a test of the truth of our hearts,” said Twilight, in between thumping her chest to restart her heart, “and what is more truthful than weighing my heart against yours?”

Again, had the golem been able to emote, it would have probably glared at Twilight as it stepped aside.

“You are not incorrect,” said the golem, “and you shall be allowed the prize. However, return here, and you shall find only death, lich.”

Twilight smiled as she pranced down the corridor. There were times when she really liked being undead. Of course, there were other times when it wasn’t so great.

She experienced one of these mere moments later, as both of her wings and one of her legs fell off in the middle of her prancing.

Author's Note:

Written for Prompt #530: “Test of Heart”

The prompt: The measure of her heart

I like Twilich Sparkle, but she only has two modes: shenanigans, and super creepy.

PreviousChapters Next