• Published 18th Apr 2013
  • 2,232 Views, 456 Comments

Ponywatching - ThunderTempest



Stories from TMP prompts

  • ...
4
 456
 2,232

PreviousChapters Next
Legacy Prompt #34: Test

The cloud hall was filled with the subdued muttering of nervous pegasi. Several minutes earlier, they had seen the examiners head into the adjacent room, boxes tucked under their forelegs. The younger pegsai milled about, waiting for the fateful announcement that would call them in for the next two hours of what most would deem cruel and unusual punishment. But shortly before that, a figure that most of the pegasi in the room recognised swept into the room, and landed in the suddenly clear spot right in the centre. The muttering changed from how horrible the next few hours would be to ‘what is she doing here?’ and ‘I thought she already had done this,’ or even ‘I thought she was a Wonderbolt? Don’t they have to have this?’

None of them, however dared to speak too loud. Unfortunately for them, Rainbow Dash had always had excellent hearing; how else would she have ever heard Fluttershy’s cheering otherwise? Looking around, Rainbow recognised a few ponies from the Best Young Flyer’s competition, and a few from her semi-regular visits to CLoudsdale. Still, the knowledge that she was taking the same exam as ponies that were nearly half a decade younger than her was not helping Rainbow’s own nerves.

She’d never thought that she would have to come back here, but Spitfire had said that despite Rainbow’s experience as weather manager of Ponyville, and her learning everything in practice, she had to have the stupid bit of parchment that said she was legally allowed to work weather in Equestria. And Rainbow Dash had said that she would do it, because that little scroll was now just about the only thing standing between her and her dream.

A bell tolled. To most, it was a symbolic death knell. But Rainbow Dash held her head up, and dashed away from the doors.

Two seconds later, she floated through into the main hall, surrounded by a purple glow. She was followed by Princess Twilight Sparkle, who deposited her in a seat near the front. Twilight then smiled at the rest of the hall, waved, and trotted back through the door. The elderly pegasus who was conducting the exam coughed to clear her throat as the doors swung shut.

“Welcome to the Weather Certification Exam,” she croaked, “you will have two hours for this exam, with ten minutes reading time. Nopony may leave in the first hour. Are there any questions?” No hooves went up.

The elderly pegasus coughed again. “Your reading time starts now. Good luck.”

There was the flurry of turning pages, and Rainbow Dash, along with all the recent class of Flight School, began the test that would grant them the ability to work weather in Equestria.

Author's Note:

Written for Legacy Prompt #34, over on the TMP group forums, here on Fimfiction.net

The prompt: Finals

PreviousChapters Next