• Published 18th Apr 2013
  • 2,256 Views, 456 Comments

Ponywatching - ThunderTempest



Stories from TMP prompts

  • ...
4
 456
 2,256

PreviousChapters Next
Legacy Prompt #5-Being the Hero

After the eventful day when Twilight and her friends had been sucked into the Power Ponies comic, Twilight had politely ‘asked’ Spike to get rid of all the comics he’ bought from the enchanted comics. Spike was not stupid, and he knew that Twilight was just looking out for him, and so he’d gotten rid of them. Well, most of them. There were a few choice volumes that he kept, hidden under his basket. Mostly the rare volumes where Humdrum was the hero, not the rest of the Power Ponies. This minor rebellion was his own little secret from Twilight, and every now and again, when he wasn’t having such a good day, and while Twilight was off with the rest of their friends, saving the world or sorting out a personal crisis somewhere, Spike liked to dive into the comic, and enjoy being the hero for once.

Such events were rare, and had become fewer after his debacle at the Equestria Games, but they still happened from time to time. But right now, Spike was kind of regretting his choice of comic, as he was currently tied up, and the Maneiac was waltzing off to victory. No, really, she was actually waltzing.

“Stop right there, Maneiac!” cried an oddly familiar voice, and Spike turned his head to find Twilight Sparkle, dressed up as the Masked Matterhorn, as the Maneiac stopped her premature victory dance. “You may have been able to outsmart Humdrum this time, but you won’t outsmart me!”

“Oh, how delightful!” cried the supervillain, “One of the Power Ponies has come right into my lair, and I think she’s due for a good scrubbing!” At the almost unspoken command, the exceptionally well-groomed henchponies leapt at Twilight, who ducked and rolled under them, before blasting them with pinpoint accuracy with her freeze beam. Blocks of ice containing the henchponies dropped to the floor, and without a single moment’s hesitation, Twilight dove towards the Maneiac, her covered horn sparking to light with what Spike recognised as a paralysing beam. It connected with the Maneiac, causing her to go into a rigor state. A light shove from Twilight knocked the Maneiac to the ground. A whistle later, the police ponies were carting the deranged former hairdresser away, and Twilight was untying Spike.

“What did I tell you about these comics, Spike?”

Spike hung his head, knowing that he’d been caught. “Okay, I’ll throw them out once we get out, Twilight.”

“Did I say that you had to?” asked Twilight. At Spike’s almost incredulous look, Twilight elaborated. “I may have overreacted the first time. I’m fine with you having the odd one or two of these, Spike. Just be careful with them, okay? And don’t leave them lying around the library.”
Spike’s grin could have lit up a room, as the spell completed itself, and deposited both Twilight and Spike back on the floor of the Golden Oaks Library.

“Remember, Spike,” said Twilight, “Keep them away from the library floor, and you still have to buy them yourself, but yes, I am fine with you having these, as long as you promise to be careful.”

“Got it, Twilight!” said Spike, as he dashed off to check his stash of gems and bits, just to make sure that the next time he and Twilight went to Canterlot, that he’d have enough to warrant a visit to Enchanted Comics.

Author's Note:

Written for Legacy Prompt #5, over on the TMP group forums
The Prompt: Spike has a secret

Not terribly proud of this one.

PreviousChapters Next