• Published 18th Apr 2013
  • 2,257 Views, 456 Comments

Ponywatching - ThunderTempest



Stories from TMP prompts

  • ...
4
 456
 2,257

PreviousChapters Next
Prompt # 325-Out of Character

Out of Character

It was no secret in Ponyville that one of the local mailmares, one Ditzy ‘Derpy Hooves’ Doo, was a bit odd. Most visitors found her almost perpetually wall-eyed look, and almost perfectly eidietic memory a bit unnerving, but the locals knew that despite this disability that Ditzy was a rather pleasant mare who held down a steady job, and had nothing but kind words for everypony in town. So when one morning, just like any other, the townsfolk witnessed the kind, forgiving mailmare shaking the living daylights out of the librarian at Golden Oak Library, they were stunned.

“What do you mean, you don’t know who Twilight Sparkle is? She lives here!” Ditzy growled. “Every morning for the last two years, I’ve been here at exactly eight forty six in the morning, she opens the door on the second set of three knocks, and after I’ve passed over the mail for the day, she wishes me luck for the day, and we part ways.”

“I’m sorry, Ditzy, but I have no idea who you are talking about. I’ve always been the librarian for Ponyville. I was going to retire two years ago, but decided against it, remember?” The librarian managed to squeeze out through Ditzy’s shaking.

Upon hearing this, Ditzy seemed to give up on the town librarian, and flew off.

“Alright Ditzy Doo, who were Twilight’s friends?” She muttered to herself as she flew along, abandoning her mail route temporarily. This was more important. One of her friends was missing. “Applejack, 4 Sweet Apple Acres Lane. Rarity, 29 Celestia Way. Pinkie Pie, 67 Main Street. Rainbow Dash, 32 Trotson Street and Fluttershy, 12 Everfree Lane.” Confidant that she had Twilight’s friends addresses correct, she flew towards Applejack’s.

“Ah’m terribly sorry, Ditzy. But Ah’ve never even heard of anypony called Twilight Sparkle.”

“But you two used to be friends! She helped you during cider season when Flim and Flam showed up with their weird machine, and when you tried to harvest an entire crop by yourself!”

“Ah have no idea what you’re babblin’ on about, Ditzy. Sounds like a mighty funny story though.”

Ditzy sighed. “Yeah...a story. Sorry to bother you, Applejack,” Ditzy flew off, dejected.

It was much later when Ditzy arrived home that day, head hung low. Every one of Twilight’s old friends had given her the same answer when she had asked about the unicorn.

“Why does nopony but me remember her? What happened to her?” the mail mare wondered out loud.

Author's Note:

Written for TMP Prompt #325- The Dissapearence of Twilight Sparkle
Prompt: Twilight Sparkle is missing, and only one pony remembers her.

PreviousChapters Next