• Published 18th Apr 2013
  • 2,258 Views, 456 Comments

Ponywatching - ThunderTempest



Stories from TMP prompts

  • ...
4
 456
 2,258

PreviousChapters Next
Prompt #463-To The Earth From Whence She Came

Pinkie Pie bounced cheerfully down the main street of Ponyville, a wide smile spread across her face. It was a good day today. The sun was shining, her friends were all smiling, and she’d finally organized that totally awesome birthday present for Twilight Sparkle. As Pinkie Pie waved hello to Rose as she passed the other earth pony’s flower stall, Pinkie turned back to face the direction she was walking in, and slammed straight into Ditzy Doo.

“ohmygosh! Derpy, are you okay?” Pinkie asked, as the grey pegasus wobbled unsteadily for a few seconds, blinking rapidly. Derpy’s eyes then came back into focus, and alignment for a short time.

“I’m okay, Pinkie Pie! Oh, I got a letter for you!” said Ditzy, plunging her mouth into her official Royal Mail saddlebags, and emerging with a standard sized letter, which Pinkie grabbed with her own mouth.

“Fanks, Ditzy!” Said Pinkie, talking around the letter. Ditzy smiled, and with her eyes once more seemingly staring at Pinkie Pie and a patch of cloud overhead at the same time, took wing to continue her mail route. Pinkie walked over to a nearby bench, and placed the letter down on it to have a closer look. It was addressed to her, all right, and the hoofwriting looked very familiar, but Pinkie couldn’t place it. With a careful hoof, she split open the envelope, and pulled out the letter inside.

‘Dear Pinkamena Diane Pie,’ it began, and that was the final clue that Pinkie needed. Only her father ever addressed her by her full name on a regular basis, but he also hadn’t written in years. Most of Pinkie’s correspondance was with her two sisters, and sometimes her mother, but almost never her father. Shrugging, she read on.
‘Your mother has finally passed on from her illness. She would want you to be there for the funeral.
Sincerely,
Igneous Rock, your Father.’ This was followed by the address of the place where the funeral was going to take place, as well as the date.

Pinkie Pie read the letter again. Then she re-read it another two times, just to make sure that she hadn’t missed anything. Then, without a single expression crossing her face, she solemnly picked the letter back up, and walked back to Sugarcube Corner. It was only once she had reached the sanctity and privacy of her room that Pinkie finally allowed herself to be free with her emotions.

She bawled her eyes out.

*****[Time]****

The Funeral home where Pinkie’s family had elected to hold the service was a quiet, tasteful and dark building, draped in black everywhere. Pinkie Pie, in honour of her mother, had straightened her mane and tail, instead of letting them poof out as they normally did. It took a physical effort of will to make sure they stayed that way for the service.

The priest looked over the four ponies gathered in the dark room, and nodded at each one.
“We are gathered here today, to mourn the passing of Cloudy Quartz, a beloved wife and mother...”

Author's Note:

Written for Prompt #463-“The Funeral Pyre” (Theme Week, Day Five)
The Prompt: Pinkie Pie in a funeral home.
Special Rule: Pinkie is not dead.

PreviousChapters Next