• Published 18th Apr 2013
  • 2,256 Views, 456 Comments

Ponywatching - ThunderTempest



Stories from TMP prompts

  • ...
4
 456
 2,256

PreviousChapters Next
Prompt #15: Absconded

Professor Daring Do strolled back to her office at Manehatten university, her lengthy mane blowing in the wind. As she walked, her mind wandered over all the things that she had to do this week. Her students were still waiting on their mid-term exam results, she had to visit the curator of the Manehatten Museum of Natural History to examine some pottery, and the Dean wanted to meet with her to justify why she was asking for more money for the History department. Again. She let out a sigh, wondering why she couldn’t be more like the fictional Daring Do, written by her friend Ink Blot. That Daring Do didn’t have to worry about budget meetings or marking exams.

“Professor?” said a voice from behind her, and Daring turned. She’d already reached her building, and the pony calling her was the receptionist.

“Yes, what is it?” asked Daring.

“There’s somepony to see you in your office. I tried to tell her you were out, but she said she could wait, and I know you want ponies to have an appointment, but she insisted, and she’s,” the receptionist got no further than that, because Daring Do held up a hoof.

“It’s alright, Time Clock. I can manage one deviation every now and again. I suppose that it’s the Dean, isn’t it? She wanted to talk to me about the budget anyway,” said Daring Do, heading into her office. Her mouth dropped open when she was who was waiting for her.

“P-Princess Twilight Sparkle?” asked Daring Do, instantly dropping into a bow. She was no cab driver, she’d read the article in four different newspapers about the newest Princess of Equestria. And to her mind, there was no logical reason for the Princess of Equestria to be in her office. Princess Twilight Sparkle smiled and motioned for Daring to rise, which did little to put her, nearsighted Professor of History that she was, at ease.

“Professor,” began Twilight, “I was wondering if you had any experience with translating ancient writings?”

Daring Do blinked. “Yes,” she eventually eked out, “I have some experience with multiple forms of pony scripture, though my Pre-Diarch Unicorn is a little shaky. Do you have a sample of the writing?”

“I’m afraid I don’t,” said Twilight, “but I can take you to see it.”

“I see,” said Daring, “can you describe the writing for me?”

“Yes, it’s rather angular-mostly composed of simple shapes and lines. Squares, dots and lines. No curves.”

Daring Do wandered over to a haphazard pile of books by her already overflowing bookshelf, and pulled a book out of the middle of the stack with her teeth. Dropping the book on the table, she flicked through it, oblivious to the fidgeting Princess of Equestria standing in her office.

“Ah-ha!” cried Daring Do, “It’s early Earth Pony script, from your description. Not exactly common, but not rare. It shouldn’t take me more than a few days to translate. I would very much like to see this writing. Just let me grab a few books, and we can be on our way.”

“Yes. Of course,” said Twilight, her smile twisting with nerves as Daring Do picked up three well-worn books, and slipped them into her saddlebag, before turning to face Twilight.

****Time****

Twilight’s horn lit up, and with a flash and a bang that blew out Daring’s windows, both of them vanished.

Daring Do staggered a few steps away from Princess Twilight Sparkle, so that the Princess would be spared the indignity of having to watch her throw up. Being a pegasus, she had never travelled by teleport before. She found the entire experience thoroughly unpleasant.
It was only then, once she had managed to stop retching, that she took note of her surrounds. Gone was the dim bustle of the city, the yells of the carriage drivers and the cool stone of her office. Taking their place was thousands of insect and animal noises, the oppressive heat that already had Daring beginning to sweat, and under her hooves was raw granite.

“Princess? Where are we?”

“A temple in the south of Equestria. Please, Professor, my friend Rainbow Dash is being held in here. Her life may be in danger, and I need to know what these say,” Twilight Sparkle guestured at a wall, covered in the old earth pony script that she had described.

Daring Do sighed, and adjusted her glasses. She could always have that budget meeting with the dean later.

Author's Note:

Written for Prompt #15: “Damsel in Distress”

The prompt: Write an adventure story in which Daring Do teams up with one of the mane six to go on a rescue mission to save Rainbow Dash.

PreviousChapters Next