• Published 18th Apr 2013
  • 2,232 Views, 456 Comments

Ponywatching - ThunderTempest



Stories from TMP prompts

  • ...
4
 456
 2,232

PreviousChapters Next
Prompt #334-Good Advice

Scootaloo made a face that was best described by ‘blegh’.

“Really? Why is everypony’s cutie mark story so sappy? Why can’t they all be like Rainbow Dash’s, and be awesome?” moaned the orange filly, as the latest pony the Cutie Mark Crusaders had interrogated about their cutie mark story walked away.

“Hey, I thought it was a nice story!” protested Sweetie Belle. As another argument began brewing between the young unicorn and pegasus, Apple Bloom gave a sigh, and a half-hearted look at her flank. Still bare.

“Still haven’t got your cutie mark?” came a voice from behind the youngest member of the Apple family.

“Eeyup,” said Apple Bloom, as she turned to face the voice, and found it was Rarity, Sweetie Belle’s sister, “So, y’all must be here to get Sweetie Belle?”

Rarity gave a smile, “Not at this time, Apple Bloom. Actually, I wanted to speak with you. Would you happen to know where Applejack is? I need to check to see if she can take Sweetie for the night. I have a large order to fill, and can’t have her running about, distracting me.”

“Well, I think she’s over at town Hall,” answered Apple Bloom, “somethin’ about zonin’ regulations or somethin’ like that.”

“Thank you, dear. Now, is there anything else I can help you with?” inquired Rarity, seeing the downcast look on the young filly’s face.

“It-It’s just-I know we asked you your cutie mark story already, and just ‘bout every second pony in town as well, but we ain’t gettin’ any closer to ours, it feels like.”

Rarity smiled at the young filly, and leaned in close to whisper, “I’ll let you in on a little secret, Apple Bloom. You can’t just do something and hope you’ll get a cutie mark in it. Do what comes most naturally to you, without worrying about it, and it will appear soon enough. Now,” Rarity straightened up, “I’d better go find your sister, and you should probably stop your friends arguing in the middle of the road.” As Rarity wandered off, and Apple Bloom pried Sweetie Belle off Scootaloo, the young earth pony thought about what Rarity said.

“Do what comes most naturally to you...,” Apple Bloom mused out loud later that day, back out at Sweet Apple Acres, in the old barn by the house. Closing her eyes, Apple Bloom reached out, and grasped the first tool she came to.

~~~Time~~~

Time passed without the filly ever being aware of it, as she hammered and sawed with complete concentration. Making things had always been a hobby of hers, especially after she’d fixed up the clubhouse, and Applejack and Big Mac had given her this small workspace in the barn where she could mess around without interference, though only after a long session on tool safety. It was nearly dinner time when Applejack, with Sweetie Belle in tow, came into the barn to see where her younger sister had gotten to.

A soft smile grew on Applejack’s face as she watched her sister nearly dance around her project, hammering, joining and cutting with a skill that belied her years. As the project neared completion, Applejack began to see a glow on her sister’s flank, faint at first, but getting stronger all the time.

“Come on, Sweetie Belle, let’s get you inside, and y’all can help us set the table fer dinner,” said Applejack, leading the young unicorn away from the barn.

“But what about Apple Bloom?”

“She’ll come when she hears the bell. Ah think, anyway. Best to leave her to her work right now, though. Ah’m sure, once she’s finished, she’ll have plenty to talk about with you.”

Author's Note:

Written for Prompt 334-Just-so stories
The Prompt: How the pony got its cutie mark.

PreviousChapters Next