• Published 18th Apr 2013
  • 2,259 Views, 456 Comments

Ponywatching - ThunderTempest



Stories from TMP prompts

  • ...
4
 456
 2,259

PreviousChapters Next
Prompt #402: Gossip

That laugh. Rarity hated that laugh. That laugh was everything she hated about the social aspect of her career. It was a laugh that said ‘I do not find you funny, or consider you a friend. I am making fun of you.’ She glanced around the table at the various nobleponies, each smiling at some terrible joke that the host had told. She plastered a fake smile on her face, a smile that told the dinner party ‘yes, I agree with you’. Rarity hated her career for forcing her to do this, sometimes. She’d much rather be back in Ponyville, with ponies who told jokes that were actually funny, who pranked you in good nature and everypony laughed honestly. But such was the fashion industry.

Rarity looked down at her meal. Like all of the fare in Canterlot, it was exquisitely prepared and not at all filling. She picked at her food, half-listening to the conversations around her.

“...Duke said he’d be very interested in acquiring more of the paintings...”

“...but the Philharmonic is wonderfully on form this year. Their recent concert got wonderful reviews and...”

Rarity sighed. Same old gossip, same old power-mongering, but such was the game.

“...dating a Wonderbolt, don’t you know?” Rarity’s ears perked up.

“Yes, but it’s that new one from Ponyville, of all places. Ugh.”

“Isn’t she from Ponyville herself? Probably how they met, you know.”

Rarity knew of only one new Wonderbolt from Ponyville. And she knew only one pony that was dating said Wonderbolt, but she kept quiet.

“The Wonderbolts standards must be slipping if ponies from towns like Ponyville are getting in. You know, I heard that after she got in, they had to redefine the minimum standards. Must be lowering them so that anypony can get in.”

“They most certainly did NOT!” Rarity didn’t even realise she’d spoken until she noticed everypony staring at her. After a moment contemplating what she had done, Rarity decided that she didn’t care anymore.

“Rainbow Dash is the most talented pegasus that the Wonderbolts have seen in over a decade. She raised their standards, not lowered them.”

“Well, of course you would say that,” said one of the nobles, “but you are biased.” The nobles tittered, and Rarity found herself grinding her teeth at that laugh.

“So then, duchess,” began Rarity, attempting to control her temper somewhat, “your attempted bribery of Rainbow Dash just before the last Wonderbolt Derby had absolutely nothing to do with her recent shattering of every single speed record that the Wonderbolts hold?”

Gasps rippled around the table.

“Well,” stammered the duchess, “she’s clearly cheating somehow.”

“The Equestrian Games,” said Rarity, “before she joined the Wonderbolts. Rainbow went from dead last to second in under ten seconds. She was magically scanned, and as you well know, duchess, no unicorn in the crowd could be influencing her. But your problem isn’t with her, is it?”

“I-I don’t know what you’re talking about,” said the duchess.

“No, your problem is with me. You see me as a threat to you. You want me to leave Canterlot, to stop climbing the social ladder and be less popular than you. And quite frankly, I would love nothing more. I am a dressmaker, a fashionista of the highest class, but unless I sit here and listen to all of you make fun of ponies like Rainbow Dash, who, I might add, is worth a hundred of you, I will cease to have a clientele,” said Rarity, her innermost thoughts spilling out, unable to be stopped or contained. “You are all sad, sad ponies, trapped in this game of your own making. A game that has no end, and no point.”

Rarity chuckled. “Perhaps I should have let Rainbow come good on her offer to punch you in the face, duchess. Celestia knows she wanted to when you tried to bribe her.”

Rarity turned to the host of the dinner party.

“I am not sorry for my behaviour, and nor will I apologise. However, I do believe that I shall take my leave.” Rarity strode toward the door. She paused by the door to pick up her hat, and turned back to the hostess once more.

“Dear, I would strongly suggest finding another chef. The one you have cannot make a decent salad to save his life.” With that, Rarity walked out of the door, letting it swing shut behind her.

Author's Note:

Written for Prompt #402: “Mockery”
The prompt: I’m not laughing with you, I’m laughing at you.

PreviousChapters Next