• Published 18th Apr 2013
  • 2,258 Views, 456 Comments

Ponywatching - ThunderTempest



Stories from TMP prompts

  • ...
4
 456
 2,258

PreviousChapters Next
Prompt #187: Closed Loop

Dear Daughter,

I will never know you. I carried you, I birthed you, and yet, I shall never know you as my daughter. Your father, bless his heart, has agreed to raise you himself. I hope that he can find somepony that will truly appreciate him, for I fear that my intentions, though transparent and clear to him, are not entirely honourable. Necessary, yes, and I was clear with him on this, and he said that he understood, but the nuances of social relationships such as this are still not clear to me. I am still a student in such things, and it is a terribly embarrassing feeling.

Hopefully, by the time that you are given, or find this letter, you are old enough to perhaps understand what I have done, but I doubt it. Perhaps he has told you that I am possessed of some degree of foresight, that I have a knowledge of future events that nopony save the Princess can equal. I do not have much time, my daughter. From all of my calculations, I should barely have long enough to name you and hold you once. However, I have time enough for a few more predictions.

You shall grow up happy. You will enter Canterlot University in a degree of your own desire, graduate with the highest honours, and while there, you will likely find a stallion that you want to spend the rest of your life with. Trust your heart in these matters, and you shall never go wrong.

Eventually, you will have two children, one male, one female. One will have a talent for shields, the other a deep-seated need to know everything about magic. Allow your children to fully explore their talents, and they will go on to do great things. I will not say anything further, because I do not want you to feel that you are pressured by my ‘predictions’. Know that sooner or later, things will come to pass, and that things will work themselves out the way they should, in time.

Everything will happen as it should, so don’t worry or panic. I just happen to get glimpses at the script from time to time.

And please, if my words hold any meaning for you, please consider naming one of your children after me. You shall know which one, I suspect. And when the time is right, pass this letter onto the child that you named after me. He or she will know what to do from there. Trust me when I say that it is important, for reasons that I cannot explain here and now, but this must happen.

Writing this letter has given me inspiration for your name. Twilight Velvet. May Celestia smile upon you, Twilight Velvet, and all of your future endeavours.

Your Mother,

Twilight Amethyst Sparkle the Second.

P.S. When the child you named after me gives you this letter back, be prepared for a very awkward conversation.

Author's Note:

Written for Prompt #187: “From The Heart”
The prompt: Dear Daughter...

PreviousChapters Next