• Published 18th Apr 2013
  • 2,256 Views, 456 Comments

Ponywatching - ThunderTempest



Stories from TMP prompts

  • ...
4
 456
 2,256

PreviousChapters Next
Prompt #506: Governance

The chair was uncomfortable, not at all like the one in her castle, Twilight had decided. That chair she could sink down into and read for hours in. Not that she would, because sitting in that chair carried with it all sorts of connotations, and despite it being the most comfortable thing in existence, Twilight didn’t like sitting in it unless she had to.

But this chair was uncomfortable, almost on purpose. Probably on purpose, actually. And the room was equally uncomfortable, even now, before anything had really happened in it. She looked to her left, and there were sitting the other three princesses. Celestia was to her immediate left, followed by Luna and finally Cadence. With a mild satisfaction, Twilight noted that all the chairs that she and the other princesses were sitting in were all of the same height and construction.

Twilight was brought out of her study of the chairs by Celestia quietly coughing and nudging her. She started, and saw the last of the ponies filing in. A gavel was banged, and the low hum of talk in the room died down. The elderly pony who had banged the gavel spoke up.

“We will now commence the session of Parliament, on this Tuesday, the first week of March, in the 1004th year A.B. The floor recognises Princess Celestia for her opening remarks.”

Twilight watched as Princess Celestia stood up and strode down to the open space in the centre of the room.

“Thank you. Today, members, I would like to draw your attentions to our relations with our neighbours, the Zebras.” As Princess Celestia talked, Twilight partly tuned her out. Celestia and Luna had explained this the night before-before Parliament began, each princess in attendance was given five minutes for an opening statement. These had two purposes. One was to make sure that the Princesses could push forward issues they felt strongly about, and the other was to remind the members of Parliament didn’t forget that the princesses actually ruled the country. Parliament was just there to debate things and make sure that all the regions had a chance to speak about the laws.

“Thank you, Princess Celestia. The floor now recognises Princess Luna for her opening remarks,” said the officiator, once Celestia had finished her speech.

“We thank you. Members, we would like to put forward that the state of training required by the Royal Guard is in dire need of review,” said Princess Luna. Twilight had also been assured that she did not have to attend every single Parliament meeting for as long as she was a Princess. Officially, she only needed to attend one per month-she had simply been asked to attend this one because, for the first time since her coronation, all four princesses of Equestria would be there.

“The floor recognises Princess Cadence for her opening remarks,” droned the officiator, and Cadence walked to the open space.

“Thank you. Members, I would like to bring your attentions to the planned expansions to the railway network, specifically the line which connects the Crystal Empire to the rest of Equestria.”

As Cadence talked, Twilight noted that each princess was remaining down on the speaking floor, and this too had been explained. Because none of the Princesses really wanted to sit through an entire Parliament session, they would exit for a while after Twilight’s opening speech, and decide who was going to stay for the duration of the session.

“Thank you, Princess Cadence,” said the officiator, “the floor now recognises Princess Twilight for her opening remarks.” Twilight stood up from her chair, and trotted down to the speaking area, and turned to face the officiator. She took a deep breath in, exhaled slowly, and then spoke.

“Thank you. Members, I would like to direct your attention to the funding of our magical research institutes, as they are barely receiving the funds to continue their work,” said Twilight, the steadiness of her voice surprising even her. Once she finished her short speech, Princess Celestia stepped forward once more.

“We, the four Princesses of Equestria, request permission from the floor to temporarily adjourn to decide the Princess-In-Attendance for the day.” At the sound of the gavel, Twilight followed the others to a side room, where Princess Celestia produced a coin.

“Flip for it?” she asked the room.

******

Outside, the ponies of Parliament waited with bated breath to see which princess would be taking up the seat of Princess-In-Attendance. While not having any official say in the descisions of Parliament, the Princess-in-Attendance could sway what decisions were made by purely being there, and was treated as the voice of all the princesses in highly disputed matters.

After several minutes, the Princesses exited, retook their positions on the floor, and Princess Celestia spoke.

“The Princess-in-Attendance shall be Princess Luna.” Several ponies sighed, others looked on the verge of panic, and Twilight Sparkle and the other Princesses smiled as Luna took her seat at the head of the room, glad that they didn’t have to all stay.

Author's Note:

Written for Prompt #506: “Little Old Lady From Ponyville”
The prompt: Four on the floor

Meh.

PreviousChapters Next