• Published 18th Apr 2013
  • 2,256 Views, 456 Comments

Ponywatching - ThunderTempest



Stories from TMP prompts

  • ...
4
 456
 2,256

PreviousChapters Next
Prompt #551-That Day...

Tuesdays,’ thought Sunny Day, the Secretary for Princess Celestia. ‘Why was it always bucking Tuesdays?’ Before the return of Princess Luna, Sunny Day had thought that it was not possible to hate a day of the week so much.

She’d known that being a Princess’s secretary was not an easy job, but Sunny Day had been up to the challenge for years, and had learnt much in the course of the job. There were countless things that had to be brought to the attention of the Princess, not to mention that she had to endure the Princess’s at times strange and unknowable logic. She had also quickly learnt how to tell when Princess Celestia was being serious, and when she was simply trying to mess with a pony.

And then Princess Luna had returned, and Sunny Day learned to hate a calender day.

*****

Tuesdays,’ thought Starry Dusk, the recent Secretary for Princess Luna, ‘Why is it always on a Tuesday?’ Starry’s position was a recent opening in the castle staff. With Princess Luna now reassuming her duties in ruling the kingdom, it only made sense that she would need somepony to help keep her on track, and Starry Dusk was still learning all the tricks of the job. But there was one part that he had very quickly picked up, almost as a matter of self-preservation.

Tuesdays were the worst day of the entire week, without question. On Tuesdays, Starry had more than once considered quitting.

*****

Thunder Helm and Gusty Strike were not anything special, or at least, that was what they said. Everypony else in the Royal Guard was more than a bit impressed with the two pegasi, and for one very simple reason: these two were the most frequent guards of the Royal Throne room, and that meant they had to deal with the nobles both entering and leaving the Courts, as well as the Princesses themselves. Most of the time, the two immortal alicorns were well behaved, polite to a fault, and model protectees.

Except on Tuesdays.

*****

“Woo hoo!” cried Celestia as she slid down the halls of Canterlot Castle, her hooves clad in thick, fuzzy socks to lessen friction between her and the polished marble. She could see the end of the hallway coming up, and made to get ready for the complicated process of turning a corner when you had no friction between you and the floor.

That was when the pillow swung out from a side corridor, smacked into her face and was pierced by her horn. Now unable to see where she was going, Celestia forgot that she was wearing socks, and her hooves scrambled on the floor in an attempt to find grip that wasn’t there. As a result, she went sailing across the corridor, and smacked into a thankfully empty patch of wall. Once Celestia recovered from her minor collision, she managed to turn around, pull the pillow off her head with her magic, and spot a flash of dark blue darting into one of the many side rooms, ghostly laughter trailing after it, and Celestia’s own face slipped into a smile.

A moment later, there was a scream of anguish and Luna bolted out of the side room, her starry ethereal mane turned a bright pink. Celestia’s smile only got wider when Luna hit the area where Celestia had liberally applied Fortescue’s No Friction Spell on the floor down the corridor where Luna had been hiding, and Luna’s screams faded down the corridor. Allowing herself a brief giggle, Celestia took a few quick steps, and resumed her glide down the corridors. Luna would be back with her revenge as soon as she stopped sliding, but for now, Celestia was going to enjoy her temporary victory in the weekly prank war.

“Wheee!” cried the immortal alicorn princess, sliding past two guards, and offering them half a pillow to the face each.

She loved Tuesdays.

Author's Note:

Written for Prompt #551: “Sisters”
The Prompt: They may be immortal alicorn princesses, but above all else, Celestia and Luna are sisters.

PreviousChapters Next