• Published 18th Apr 2013
  • 2,232 Views, 456 Comments

Ponywatching - ThunderTempest



Stories from TMP prompts

  • ...
4
 456
 2,232

PreviousChapters Next
Prompt #438-"Of Course Trixie Does."

Old habits die hard. Trixie knew that better than anypony else. When she was younger, she was taught about sleight of hoof tricks by her slightly deranged grandfather. Saying that she was skilled at sleight of hoof did not do her justice. Trixie Lulamoon was amazing at sleight of hoof. Of course, the skill didn’t just apply to magic tricks, and it did not take Trixie long to figure out these other uses. There had been a toy, or something that she had wanted, but lacked the bits to get it. But then, as she was trotting down the street of her home town one day, she realised that the pony in front of her had failed to close her saddlebag correctly, and Trixie could see the pony’s bitpurse poking out. A gentle bump, and an apology later, and Trixie was thirty bits richer. At first, she felt bad, and swore never to steal again. However, a few months later, Trixie had needed to buy a train ticket, so that she could go and see her grandparents. Unfortunately, on the way to the station, she had lost the money that she had been given for the train fare. Another bump into a pony, a hasty apology and a few fake tears later, the pony she had bumped into had paid for her ticket, and Trixie acquired some spending money.

From there, Trixie’s skill at conning ponies only grew. At first, she had promised to herself that she would only do it when necessary. But it was a rush for her, the adrenaline of subtly manipulating ponies to get what she needed, and later, what she wanted. The small world of her hometown was her oyster, and Trixie could open it up anytime she wanted.

And then she met Quick. Quick Hooves. The older earth pony used to be a dancer, but was herself a decently skilled con-artist. Quick took Trixie on as a pseudo-apprentice and eventual friend, and taught her everything that she knew. But after a while, Trixie’s interest began to wane. There was no more challenge in her hometown. That was when Trixie received the letter that would change her life. A letter accepting her into Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns.

While at the school, her interest for magic was satiated, but there was another itch. She had already promised herself that she would not steal or con anything from her fellow students or staff. But as she would find out, old habits die hard. She held to her self-imposed ban on theft and conning for half a year, and then she needed a new book, and lacked the bits to get it. Before she’d even realised what she was doing, she brushed past one of the richer students, and made their bit bag a decent bit lighter.

****Time****

In her hometown, Trixie had never once gotten caught. Whether this was because she was just that good, or because everypony was an idiot was still up for debate for her. Her unbroken streak got cut off while she was at the School for Gifted Unicorns. Some colt caught Trixie’s hoof reaching into his bag, and took it up with a teacher. Trixie managed to get off with a warning, after pulling out the tears, and a story about how her family wasn’t particularly well off. After that, Trixie reinforced her self-imposed ban on theft. It lasted all of three months.

Eventually, Trixie was politely asked to leave the school. Trixie wasn’t stupid, she knew when to retreat, and left with minimal fuss. From there, Trixie set up her stage persona, which she had already been developing while at the school, and set off on her way as a travelling performer. Her magic was impressive for somepony her age, and her skill at conning ponies fed into her act, convincing them she was truly a Great and Powerful unicorn. And for a while, that was good. Ponies donated enough bits to keep her fed and moving, which also helped control Trixie’s urge to con ponies.

Trixie still refrains from abusing her talent most of the time, preferring to use her magic to make her bits. Largely because pulling con jobs and thievery is illegal, while putting on a magic show is perfectly legitimate, if occasionally a bit annoying. But while Trixie might only be a slightly above average spellweaver, she was practically at the peak of the con artist world. So the next time the Great and Powerful Trixie comes into town, consider tossing a few bits into her hat. Because the alternative is that she cons you out of everything you have on you. Because Trixie knows that old habits die hard, and this is one habit that she is very, very good at.

Author's Note:

Written for Prompt #438-“Liar’s Game”
The Prompt: “You think you can cheat me and get away with it?”

I like Con Artist Trixie for some reason.

PreviousChapters Next