• Published 18th Apr 2013
  • 2,259 Views, 456 Comments

Ponywatching - ThunderTempest



Stories from TMP prompts

  • ...
4
 456
 2,259

PreviousChapters Next
Prompt #265: Success

Rainbow Dash strode down the corridor formed by all of the current active Wonderbolts on the main flight path of the Wonderbolt Academy for Advanced Flight, dressed in the full official dress uniform. At some point or another, each of them had been her wingmate, and she could feel their eyes on her. Yet Rainbow kept her head up and eyes forward, only coming to a stop when she was beside Spitfire, the current Captain.

“At ease, Wonderbolts!” called Spitfire, and in perfect unison, all of them relaxed.

“We are here today to nominate a new captain. As much as I would like to, I can’t keep leading the Wonderbolts forever,” said Spitfire, “so, we stand here to greet our new captain, the one who will see us through the next few decades, Celestia willing. Rainbow Dash, you have been nominated and approved by the majority of the Wonderbolts as our next Captain. Do you accept this position, and all the responsibility that it entails?”

Rainbow Dash swallowed, wetting her throat.

“I will accept the position of Captain of the Wonderbolts,” said Rainbow Dash.

“Will you be the first off the line, and the last to land?”

“Always,” said Rainbow Dash, not quite able to stop the grin from crossing her face. Spitfire glowered at Rainbow Dash for deviating from the script.

“And will you promise to always push both yourself and your wingmates higher and faster?”

“I so promise,” said Rainbow.

“Then, I name you as Captain Rainbow Dash,” said Spitfire, as Soarin’ stepped fowards, bearing a cap and a pin for Rainbow’s shirt. With a quick flick, the cap landed on Rainbow’s head, and Spitfire pinned the badge stating Rainbow’s new rank to her shirt. The last thing was now down to Rainbow.

“Captain Spitfire, I am your replacement,” said Rainbow Dash.

“You can only replace me if you can catch me,” Spitfire said, and this time it was her that was unable to keep the smile off her face, “challenge accepted, rookie.”

Soarin’ stepped forwards again.

“The challenge is from here to the Captain’s office. Contenders to go on the count of three,” said Soarin’, pausing for a moment.

“Three!” he yelled, and both Rainbow Dash and Spitfire launched forwards, blasting towards the main building.

*******

Rainbow had, naturally, won the race. She was a speed queen, the fastest pony that Spitfire or even the Wonderbolts had ever seen. Spitfire looked back at Rainbow Dash, who was already settling in to her new office. The office that until moments ago, had been Spitfire’s. Still, she knew that the Wonderbolts would be in good hooves.

However, for a moment, all Spitfire could see was a pink pegasus with the same energy as Rainbow, flitting around the office, declaring the whole thing as ‘totally uncool’.

“Firefly,” murmured Spitfire, “guess you were right after all, sis. Your little Rainbow did knock me off my high seat. And you know,” she continued, as a few tears began to trickle down her face, “I was going to tell Rainbow about you but now? I don’t think she really needs to know. I think she’ll do just fine without having to live up to you. Heh, she’s probably going to pass you within a year.”

“Spitfire, you okay?” asked Rainbow, poking her head out of the office.

“Yeah,” said Spitfire, wiping her tears away with a foreleg, “just remembering an old friend. She’d have approved of what you’ve done.”
Rainbow shrugged, and went back to moving things around, and Spitfire smiled.

Yes, Firefly would be proud of what her daughter had done.

Author's Note:

Written for Prompt #265: Norse Pony’s Writing Clinic
The prompt: Unexpected tears
OR
The prompt: Unexpected laughter

Eh. Not terribly sure about this one.

PreviousChapters Next