• Published 18th Apr 2013
  • 2,264 Views, 456 Comments

Ponywatching - ThunderTempest



Stories from TMP prompts

  • ...
4
 456
 2,264

PreviousChapters Next
The Final Prompt-The Only True Pinkie Pie Ship

Pinkie Pie was always the last pony in Sugarcube Corner to leave the kitchen when she was working there, and had been ever since the Cakes took her in. Usually, Cup Cake was busy with the twins by that late in the day, and Carrot Cake would be helping her, because the littlest cakes were a cupful of trouble. And all of this was just fine with Pinkie Pie. She knew how important family was to the cakes, and she was always grateful that they’d allowed her to be included in it. But sometimes, Pinkie would look at her pseudo parents, and their kids, and she’d get just the teensiest, tiniest bit jealous. It never lasted long, because Pinke was naturally happy most of the time, but she would look at the Cakes and wonder why she’d never had that with her sisters, or her parents.

All Pinkie could remember from her days on the Pie Family rock farm was endless, joyless grey. She had never once looked back when she’d left, though she still sent letters telling her sisters how she was doing, and they replied sometimes, too. But she did have one fond memory of the Rock Farm- the Cloudy Quartz Special-the rock cakes her mother would bake every Sunday. They were the exact right balance between tough and moist, crunchy and soft and Pinkie could just eat them all day. Even now, as Pinkie Pie finished cleaning up the kitchen in Sugarcube Corner, she could practically smell the rock cakes as they finished cooking over the old-style wood stove, the flakes of granite sinking into the outer layer of the dough, and the powdered sugar being sprinkled over the top, burning on the bits of still exposed rock.

‘Wait a minute,’ thought Pinkie Pie, ‘why can I smell burning sugar?’ Pinkie looked around the kitchen, and found the source of the smell-the oven was still on, and Pinkie had left her latest batch of cupcakes in there. The situation took a moment to make its way through Pinkie’s candy floss wrapped head, but when it did, the baker dived for the handle to the oven door, not bothering with the grip that allowed them to handle the oven without burning themselves. Pinkie Pie yelped in pain as the hot metal singed her coat, and the heat from the oven washed over her. Making sure to grab the gripping tool this time, Pinkie extracted the burnt batch of cupcakes, and sighed.

“Well, there goes another experiment,” muttered Pinkie. The Cakes were fine with Pinkie playing around with baking recipes in her spare time, as more than one had turned out to sell rather well in the shop itself. As long as Pinkie cleaned up after herself, she was free to make use of the kitchen as much as she wanted. And that worked out fine with Pinkie, because she spent a lot of time with the one she loved in the kitchen. They often spent hours together, just baking. And Pinkie’s mother had said that baking was like love: you needed to put care into what you were making, or you’d only get something terrible out. And Pinkie liked to think that she’d put a lot of care into her relationship, and she was sure that her partner felt the same. But today, on this Hearts and Hooves day, she would finally confess her attraction.

****

Twilight Sparkle pushed open the doors to Sugarcube Corner. She was here to get Pinkie Pie for the ‘Singles’ Appreciation Day’ party that Rainbow Dash was putting on, and from what Rainbow had described, it would be a lot of sitting around, eating pizza and talking and generally not being all sappy. Twilight personally couldn’t understand it, but it wasn’t like she had anything else to do other than catalogue a bunch of back issues of Magitech Weekly.

As Twilight made her way through the main floor of the bakery, she could hear Pinkie Pie in the kitchen.

“Oh, yes, I know you’re not that good for me, but it just makes me feel so good. If you’re willing to try and make this work, I am as well,” said Pinkie, “And besides, you make the best cupcakes, ever! Why wouldn’t I like you?” Twilight dashed through the arch to the kitchen, and saw Pinkie Pie make bedroom eyes at the Cake’s industrial oven.

“Oh, you can bake my cake anytime,” purred Pinkie Pie, before she noticed Twilight, “Oh, Hi Twilight!” Twilight just blinked. Then she blinked again. Her mouth opened and closed as she tried to summon up the words to elucidate her thoughts.

“Bwah? Glarb,” was what Twilight actually said before her brain entered shutdown mode.

‘TwilightSparkle.exe has encountered a PinkiePie error. Immediate restoration of sanity impossible. Try again when the world makes sense,’ thought Twilight as she stared at Pinkie Pie hugging the massive oven and doing her level best to make out with it. The Magitech magazines were looking more and more appealing to Twilight. At least they would be rational, and she didn’t think that she could ever look at Pinkie Pie the same way again. Or buy anything from Sugarcube Corner again.

“Oh, Twilight, did you come to tell me you want to be my special somepony, because that would be awkward. I’m kinda really sort of totally in love darn it with George here!” Pinkie stood up on her hind hooves, and pointed both of her front hooves at the oven, which promptly dinged.

“Ooh, my hotsauce cake’s ready!”

Another bit of Twilight’s brain broke, and she picked up Pinkie Pie with her telekinesis, and began to leave the bakery, out to a world that actually made sense.

“Sorry, George! I guess we have to break up because Twilight wants to make out with me! It was great while it lasted!” called Pinkie Pie, and Twilight slapped a hoof to her face, and kept walking.

Author's Note:

Written for The Final Prompt: “All Good Things...”
The prompt: All good things must come to an end.

Because this was the Final Prompt, we had 60 minutes instead of the usual 30 to write our stories.
...
...
Pinkie/Industrial Oven is my OTP.

PreviousChapters Next