• Published 18th Apr 2013
  • 2,232 Views, 456 Comments

Ponywatching - ThunderTempest



Stories from TMP prompts

  • ...
4
 456
 2,232

PreviousChapters Next
Prompt #550-Sudden Changes

The party was in full swing, as the six friends danced, talked and generally had a good time. At some point during the night, and completely without Twilight’s knowledge, Pinkie Pie, the perpetrator of the party, had managed to hang a banner across one of the bookshelves declaring this to be a ‘Congratulations on Finishing your Super Big Research Project’ party. Twilight had attempted to explain that she had only sent the thesis off, and it would likely be months before her official mark was sent out, but as Twilight knew, Pinkie Pie will be Pinkie Pie.

As it was late summer, Twilight had the windows on the library open-it was a warm night, and dry, but there was a pleasant breeze flowing in from the direction of the Everfree that lined up very nicely with a few windows in the Golden Oak library. Twilight looked around the room, seeing all of her friends having a great time. Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash seemed to be locked in a dance battle, while Applejack was watching on with a grin on her face, and Rarity and Fluttershy had taken up position near one of the open windows, and were simply content with chatting away. As Twilight walked over to join Rarity and Fluttershy, she noticed Fluttershy’s nose twitch. And then twitch again. Finally, Fluttershy closed her eyes, and took in a deep breath through her nose. Rarity and Twilight looked on, curious as to what Fluttershy could possibly be smelling.

Fluttershy’s eyes snapped open.

“FIRE!” yelled Fluttershy, stopping the party in its tracks, and then she was gone. Fluttershy had dived out the window, spreading her wings and taking off towards the Everfree and...her home, Twilight realised. It didn’t take much longer for the other five of them to make the connection, and they all rushed after the normally timid pegasus, who could actually fly decently well when pushed.

****

Nothing. That was what was left of Fluttershy’s house. Somehow, the Everfree Forest had caught fire, and Fluttershy’s house had been in the path of the flames. Twilight didn’t know what was affecting her more: Fluttershy losing her house, or the sight of Fluttershy frantically digging through the remains, crying out the names of her animal friends, tears streaming down her ash-stained face.

“Fluttershy,” called Rainbow Dash, “they’re-”

“No, I have to find them! They have to be okay!” interrupted Fluttershy, wincing as her hoof hit a patch of still-warm embers.

“Flutters. You can stop,” said Rainbow, swooping down and attempting to pull Fluttershy away, but the other pegasus shook her off.

“I need to find my animal friends, Rainbow! They have to be okay! I have to know!”

“Fluttershy, they are,” said Rainbow, motioning with her hoof to a part of the clearing where all the little critters had started gathering behind Fluttershy, “Including that stupid bunny of yours.”

“Oh,” said Fluttershy, blushing with an embarrassed smile.

“Well, now that that’s taken care of, we simply must do something about your living situation, Fluttershy,” said Rarity, “You can’t live out here while your cottage is rebuilt, and as much as I would like to, I cannot take you. Sweetie Belle is occupying my spare bedroom.”

“And I can’t have you either, because the Cakes have no room left,” said Pinkie Pie, “unless you want to sleep in my closet?” Fluttershy shook her head.

“Fluttershy can stay with me,” said Twilight, “I still have a spare bed, and the library is reasonably close to the forest.”

“Oh, thank you, Twilight, but I really wouldn’t want to impose...”

“It’s not a problem, Fluttershy. Is there anything you can salvage from here?” Fluttershy shook her head, and the other five all gathered around their shy friend in a hug.

“Now come on, lets get back to the library. We have a party to clean up, and I have a bed to set up,” said Twilight, leading the way back to the library.

Author's Note:

Written for Prompt #550: “Itty-Bitty Living Space”
The prompt: Two or more of the mane six move in together.

Is it bad that I feel horrible for writing this?

PreviousChapters Next