• Published 18th Apr 2013
  • 2,258 Views, 456 Comments

Ponywatching - ThunderTempest



Stories from TMP prompts

  • ...
4
 456
 2,258

PreviousChapters Next
Prompt #509-Forward, Into Peace

The wastelands were hot and dry this time of year, thought Princess Cocoon. Then again, they were always hot and dry. And barren, she couldn’t forget barren. The lands were dead, but she and her kind lived here because there was nowhere else for them to live. Every Changeling Queen since Queen Pupa the Mad had tried to improve the living situation of their people. Queen Chrysalis the Ambitious had attempted a forceful takeover of their neighbours to the north, the ponies of Equestria, but she had just been the latest in a long line of queens. Princess Cocoon strolled through the round tunnels of the hive mountain, her black chitin clicking on the stone, smoothed and worn from both the acidic spit of the workers and years of use. Her wings buzzed every now and again, and she could hear the faint hum of the hive mind in her head. Her connection wasn’t as strong as the Queens’, but it was still enough.

Changeling Princesses are odd things. They exist to replace the Queen when she is no longer able to command the hive, and there is never more than one at a time. They have a connection to the hive, but at the same time, are unable to be directed through the hive mind like the rest of the changelings or give orders through it like the Queen. The number of Princesses who had used this to their advantage, to reach the status of ‘Queen’ was not zero. In fact, it was a lot higher.

As Princess Cocoon strode through the hive, she could hear subdued muttering echoing through the rounded tunnels, and emerged out into the central chanber of the hive. It was a massive chamber, and Cocoon could now see Queen Chrysalis the Ambitious pacing around on the raised platform that served as the place of power, muttering to herself. There were no guards here. No Changeling brawlers. There never were. After all, the Queen was the most powerful changeling in the entire hive. What could possibly be capable of defeating her in her own home? Cocoon took a deep breath, charged up her horn, and fired.

****

Queen Cocoon stood over the broken and shattered corpse of the former Queen Chrysalis. With a mental flex, she summoned two workers to remove the remains of the hive’s previous rulers. Next, she announced through the connection that she was leaving for reconnaissance for a new food source. Local commanders of the changeling swarm acknowledged this, and took over the task of keeping the hive running, while Queen Cocoon buzzed her wings and flew out of the hive, heading north.

She stopped in a forest when night fell, insulating herself against the cold and predators with a construction of the sticky slime that all changelings could make. In the morning, she ate her way out, and before flying off, assumed the guise of a white pegasus to avoid suspicion.

It took her a few days, as Cocoon had never been the greatest of flyers, but she eventually arrived at the mountain where the Princesses of Equestria lived. Entering the city using the former Queen’s memories and the hive’s collective memory as a guide, she knew that the princesses were in the biggest castle in the city.

[Time]

The white pegasus that was Cocoon entered the castle, and requested an audience with the Princesses of Equestria. The attending pony looked at her strangely for a bit, but acknowledged her request. She was ushered into the throne room, where three Ponies with both wings and a horn sat. The biggest was Celestia, she knew that much. But the smaller blue and the even smaller purple ponies, she had no idea who they were, but given that they were sitting on either side of the big white one that was Celestia, they must also be princesses.

Queen Cocoon bowed. It seemed like the respectful thing to do, and she did want to make a good impression.

“Princesses, before I speak, I must ask that we have some privacy.” The three considered this for a moment, and then, from the edge of her eye she saw the purple pony princess make a motion with her hoof. A moment later, the massive doors closed behind the last guard, and Cocoon stood up.

“What can I do for you, my little pony?” said Celestia, and Cocoon had to suppress a shudder. The princess genuinely loved her subjects, and some of that was feeding into Cocoon. She savoured it for a moment, knowing full well that it would vanish in a second. She dropped her disguise, soft coat reverting to hard chitin, gossamer wings replacing feathers.

“I am Queen Cocoon of the Changeling hives,” she said with another bow, so deep as to touch her muzzle on the stone floor, “and I wish for an alliance. I do not wish for there to be any further hostilities between my people and yours.”

Author's Note:

Written for Prompt #509: “Ahead On Our Way”
The Prompt: Taking the first step on a new adventure.

PreviousChapters Next