• Published 18th Apr 2013
  • 2,256 Views, 456 Comments

Ponywatching - ThunderTempest



Stories from TMP prompts

  • ...
4
 456
 2,256

PreviousChapters Next
Prompt #440-No Police Boxes or Phone Booths Allowed

Rarity liked to consider herself a decently capable unicorn. She knew that she was nowhere near Twilight Sparkle’s level, but then again, was there anypony outside of the Princesses who was? But still, Rarity was a capable spell caster when the time called for it. But never before had Rarity wished so badly that she could travel through time in any other direction than the slow plod forwards demanded by life, a feat which was very clearly outside her limited capabilities.

With Autumn coming to a close, and the changeover to winter happening next Tuesday, Rarity would have loved to be able to jump about a week and a half fowards in time. Just enough so that she could get an idea of what the fashions for this season were going to be, and then come back, so she could get a head start. This wishful thinking of Rarity’s happened every year, mostly around the season changes between autumn and winter, and the change between spring and summer. Of course, it never lead anywhere, because Rarity, while knowing that time travel was possible thanks to Twilight, it would also be impossible for her, as she lacked the sheer power of Twilight Sparkle.

Now, it should be noted that there is a fairly large magical leyline, the source of all magical power in Equestria, running through Ponyville. It also happens to run straight through Rarity’s house and Boutique. Normally, leylines are completely harmless, and only a very experienced spellweaver could tell that they are even there. The only side effect of them is a prolonged lifespan. At least, as long as the leyline is healthy. A fully ruptured leyline is among the worst of all magical disasters, as the separation between pure Magic and the real world dissolves and Magic spills into the world. The one running through Rarity’s boutique was developing a small tear. Whether the events that followed were laid out by some higher power, or if it was all just sheer luck will never be known.

Rarity, currently fixated on the idea of travelling forward a week and a half in time, was in the main room of the Boutique. The tear in the leyline took place in her kitchen. An overabundance of Magic poured through the house, transforming several peices of Rarity’s furniture into plants. And then it found Rarity, and latched onto the desire she was currently harbouring. Without any warning from Rarity’s point of view, her horn began to glow, fiercer than she had ever seen it glow before. And then, with a snap, crackle, and a pop, she vanished, the Magic casting her through the weave of time and space.

Author's Note:

Written for Prompt #440-“Wyld Stallyns”
The Prompt: I’m where? Wait, wait, wait, back up. I’m when?!
Note: Yes, Doctor Whooves exists, but you’re not the only one who thought of using him. Originality, ho!

PreviousChapters Next