• Published 18th Apr 2013
  • 2,256 Views, 456 Comments

Ponywatching - ThunderTempest



Stories from TMP prompts

  • ...
4
 456
 2,256

PreviousChapters Next
Prompt #465-Everything Is Better In Space

Scootaloo proudly stood on the bridge of her ship, the S.S. Rainbow Dash. She knew that she was one of the younger space captains, and that naming your ship after a living pony was considered bad luck, but Scootaloo had never truly believed in all that junk. And besides, Rainbow Dash was the most awesome space pirate who had ever lived, and deserved a ship named after her. Scootaloo hoped that by naming her ship after Rainbow, she’d absorb some of that awesomeness by proxy. Her engineer, Apple Bloom, just thought it was a bit stupid.

“Scoot...” began Apple Bloom, walking onto the bridge, covered in grease and oil.

“Captain Scootaloo,” corrected Scootaloo, interrupting Apple Bloom.

“Right. Captain Scootaloo, our thrusters can’t take much more. They were bad when we got ‘em, and they’re only gettin’ worse.”

“Right. After we finish this raid on the planet, we’ll use our loot and plunder and go and get new ones. Navigator Sweetie Belle!” Finished Scootaloo, barking the final sentence out in what she hoped was a voice with authority, “How’s our course look?”

“We’re all locked in, Captain. Jumping to hyperspace in three, two, one...” As Sweetie Belle finished her countdown, she pushed a button on the console in front of her, and the three young pirates’ view of the space outside their ship distorted, stars extending out into glowing lines, and the whole ship shook and shuddered as it pushed past light speed, and stuck its tongue out at Neighstein’s Relativity.

********

Several minutes and lightyears later, the rickety ship warped back into a universe that made sense, with the occupants shaken, but otherwise unharmed.

“Ugh...Engineer Apple Bloom? Remind me to invest in a new hyperspace stabilizer when we finish this job.”

“Got it, Captain Scootaloo,” said Apple Bloom, clutching her stomach.

“But hay, fortune and riches await!” said Scootaloo, striking what she thought was a suitably dramatic pose, “Let’s go and rob these wealthy space ponies!”

“Yeah!” enthused both Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle, and as one, all three uttered the cry which struck fear and dread into anypony who heard it.

“CUTIE MARK CRUSADER SPACE PIRATES, YAY!” Unbeknownst to the young pirates, a much larger ship was approaching their beloved pile of metal and bolts.

“Uh, girls? We might have some trouble,” Said Sweetie Belle, once she was back at her navigator station, and seeing the approaching red blip on her scanners.

“Hail that ship, Navigator Sweetie.”

“Yes, Captain,” said Sweetie, pushing several buttons, and then speaking into a microphone, “This is the S.S. Rainbow Dash. State your intentions, or we’ll blow you out of the sky.”

Behind her, Captain Scootaloo nodded. That had been perfect.

“This is Applejack,” Apple Bloom gasped, but the other pushed on, “And y’all have been out here long enough. It’s time to come in.”

[Time]

“Engineer Apple Bloom? Do you know her?”

“Aye, Captain. She’s my sister, the best space law enforcer in this here region. Ah wondered why this all looked so familiar. We got no hope of beatin’ her, Captain, or runnin’ away. We’re done.”

“But real space pirates, like Rainbow Dash, would never just give up, Engineer Apple Bloom! They’d find a way to keep being awesome, and escape!” declared Scootaloo.

*******

“Girls! Time for dinner!” called Applejack, from outside the Crusaders’ clubhouse, “You be down here in four shakes of a pony’s tail, or ah’ll pull y’all out by yer tails!”

“Coming!” The Crusaders all tried to exit the clubhouse at once, not overly eager to test Applejack’s patience much more. They got stuck for a brief moment, but eventually popped out, and landed in a pile at Applejacks’ hooves. Applejack let a grin slip onto her face at the three fillies’ antics, and then began walking back to the homestead on Sweet Apple Acres, the three blank flanks trailing behind her, talking in hushed tones.

“Well, darn it. I thought fer shore we’d get our cutie marks in Pretending from that,” said Apple Bloom, kicking a clod of dirt on the ground.

“Even if we didn’t, it was still kinda fun. We should do that again next week,” replied Sweetie Belle, and getting a nod of agreement from both Apple Bloom and Scootaloo.

“Yeah,” said Apple Bloom, “But next time, ah wanna be the captain!”

Author's Note:

Written for Prompt #465-“Rocket Mare” (Theme Week, Day Seven)
The Prompt: Applejack in space
...
...
...
...SPAAAAAACEE!

PreviousChapters Next