• Published 18th Apr 2013
  • 2,256 Views, 456 Comments

Ponywatching - ThunderTempest



Stories from TMP prompts

  • ...
4
 456
 2,256

PreviousChapters Next
Prompt #541: Not Taking This

Octavia looked up from her evening newspaper when the door knocked.

“Who is it?” she called out, and received no answer. Assuming that the pony simply had the wrong apartment, she went back to her paper. Ten seconds later, there was another knock, and this time Octavia stood up, and opened the door.

“Can I help you?” she asked the rather nervous pony dressed in a once-crisp suit. Octavia thought that he looked somewhat familiar.

“Is this apartment 6b?” asked the pony.

“Yes, why?”

“I’m looking for Vinyl Scratch. I’m her agent, Signed Contract. Well, former agent, anyway.”

“Yes,” said Octavia, her tone ice cold, “I have heard much about you. In fact, Vinyl came home a few hours ago, cursing your name to the high heavens. She specifically stated that she wanted nothing to do with such a short-sighted idiot, and let me tell you, coming from her? That’s quite the insult.”

Signed Contract winced. “Yes, I found out about that only today. That’s what I need to talk to her about. I said a lot of stupid things, things which I should never have even thought. Is she in?” Signed attempted to see into the apartment, but Octavia blocked him.

“I seriously doubt that she would want to see you right now. She told me that she was done with you, and whatever her other faults are, Vinyl is a mare of her word.”

Signed Contract sighed. “Will you at least tell her that I dropped by? I don’t want our relationship to end without her knowing that I’m sorry.” Signed Contract began to trot off, and Octavia sighed.

“Signed, come in. We’ll see if we can work something out,” she said, opening the door fully.

“Oh, thank you!” said Signed, as he trotted through the door and into the apartment.

“Don’t say that just yet. Vinyl isn’t here right now, but she’ll be home in a few hours, and I can’t guarantee that she’ll accept your apology. But what you need to tell me is what you said to make her go off the rails,” said Octavia, sitting back down at the table.

Signed Contract looked nervous, and Octavia surpressed a sigh.

“You don’t have to worry about confidentiality. I’m effectively Vinyl’s eyes. Anything that you can say to her can be said to me.”

“Well, I said,” began Signed, and he leaned over, and whispered in Octavia’s ear. Octavia’s eyes widened, and she slapped a forehoof over her face.

“Yes. I can see how that would offend her enough to quit working with you,” said Octavia, “Vinyl worked hard for her skills, Signed. She was already a successful performer before she came to you. And if it were up to her, she would keep all mention of her blindness out of the press. For the most part, she’s succeeded.”

“I know, I was being stupid.”

For the first time since meeting Signed, Octavia smiled.

“That’s a good start. I can tell you’re sincere, and Vinyl will as well. Maybe there is hope for you yet.”

Author's Note:

Written for Prompt #541: “No More”
The Prompt: I quit.

Eh.

PreviousChapters Next