• Published 18th Apr 2013
  • 2,253 Views, 456 Comments

Ponywatching - ThunderTempest



Stories from TMP prompts

  • ...
4
 456
 2,253

PreviousChapters Next
Prompt #432-We Weren't Prepared For This

We should have known that the threat wouldn’t be over that easily. We should have seen it coming. Should have been preparing. But Equestria has grown too used to peace, to stability. We had been a race of fighters, once. In the old days, even before Princess Luna’s banishment, we were far more militaristic. We had allowed ourselves to grow soft, and our first victory against them was by mere fluke. Because Queen Chrysalis was a better planner than we thought. When she first attacked Canterlot, she brought only just enough for her plan. No more, no less. The second time, we had been greeted with the full force of the Changeling Hive. If a month of infiltration, love harvesting and a small army didn’t work, overwhelming force would, I think her reasoning was.

They swept in from the south, pouring out of every nook and cranny in the mountains, and we were forced to try and stop them, and were greeted with the horrifying truth of the Changelings. They could put new soldiers on the battlefield as fast as they could grow them. For every one we felled, six more took its place. Appleloosa and Dodge City fell first, and so quickly that nopony had a chance to even get a warning off. Ponyville was lucky. The Changelings had to divert around the Everfree to reach it, and that gave them just enough time to evacuate. And Evacuate they did-Into the Everfree itself. For some reason or another, that forest is anathema to the Changelings. When they arrived at Ponyville, they found a ghost town, and for that, I’m grateful. But Queen Chrysalis ordered the push towards Canterlot.

We’ve been holed up here for a while now. Food is carefully rationed. The only reason the City hasn’t been taken yet is due to the Princesses and myself carefully maintaining a barrier over the entire city. Nopony goes through it. Part of me is almost admiring of the Changeling’s strategy. They pushed hard and fast, preserving lives to feed off, and keeping the infrastructure mostly intact. They control most of Equestria right now. Every day, Chrysalis comes and floats right outside the shield to taunt us with the latest news-another city fallen, another sub hive established, trying to convince us that it’s just easier if we give in.

But despite her claims, we still have hope. We know that the ponies of Ponyville escaped, because you organized the exodus. And your letters can still pierce the barrier without compromising it, so we know that you’re building back up in the forest. Keep hitting them however you can, Twily. Move fast, hit hard. We’ve also received word that there’s a decent pocket of resistance in Fillydelphia and Manehatten, as well as a few scattered all over the country. Now we just have to figure out how to end this. But you’re smart, you’ll work something out.

Stay safe, sis.

Your BBBFF, Shining Armor.

Author's Note:

Written for Prompt #432-“My Little Pony: War Is Hell”
The prompt: Reimagine My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic as a war story.

PreviousChapters Next