• Published 18th Apr 2013
  • 2,257 Views, 456 Comments

Ponywatching - ThunderTempest



Stories from TMP prompts

  • ...
4
 456
 2,257

PreviousChapters Next
Prompt #378-Evolution

Enforced Magical Evolution. That was the official term for the transformation that Twilight had undergone when she turned into an alicorn. In the few months after her transformation and coronation, Twilight researched the phenomena with all her considerable might. Unsurpisingly, there was precious little information on it. Indeed, she was only able to find one other pony who had undergone a similar experience: Princess Cadence. However, there were countless theories about Enforced Magical Evolution, and some of them got Twilight wondering.

What if there was a state of existence beyond alicorn? Twilight knew that her magic, already impressive, had taken a giant boost when she’d grown her wings, and would grow at a steady rate for the rest of her life. But Princess Celestia, and Princess Luna both seemed to be immortal, and somehow, Twilight knew she was not. Maybe the two elder princesses were something more than an alicorn, and so Twilight designed an experiment to find out.

“So you see, Spike, the crystal array will feed my magic back in on itself, subtly amplifying it and taking care of the channelling in a controlled reaction. Once my magic gets to a certain level, I should be able to get a glimpse into the very fabric of reality, and if there’s an existence beyond alicorn, it will either magically evolve me into it, or at the very least, i’ll be able to see what it is.”

“I dunno, Twilight. This doesn’t sound very safe. Are you sure you can’t just ask Princess Celestia?”

“First hand knowledge is always better, Spike. Still,” Twilight mused, “It might be helpful to warn her. Oh well. I’m starting the experiment, Spike. Charging the crystal array.”

Twilight’s horn lit up as she stepped into the centre of the ring of crystals and wires. Six crystals surrounded her in a ring, and eight smaller ones laid out a path beyond the ring. A constant, thin stream of purple magic leapt from Twilight’s horn, connecting with the first of the bigger crystals. For a moment, both Twilight and Spike thought it wasn’t going to work, and then a hum began to build. Five streams of magic arced off the crystal Twilight was channelling into, each one connecting with one of the bigger crystals, and soon the whole array was alight with purple witchfire. Then the six main crystals began to launch Twilight’s magic back at her. Beams of magic, wider than a pony’s body, connected with the youngest alicorn, and Twilight’s eyes glowed.

*****

Power. Light. Darkness.

Whorls of colour spun before her. Power. The universe heaved and pulsed, resonating with her own magic.

“Show me what I want to know!”

Power. Pulse.

A star died and was reborn.

“Tell me if there’s anything after alicornation!”

Power. The universe pulled apart, reality tearing, and only static was visible through the cracks.

Pulse. Pulse. Power.

“SHOW ME!”

Power. Light.

*******

Spike watched from outside the library as it practically glowed and a column of purple magic roared off it, extending into the sky. He was joined by the other Elements of Harmony and practically the whole town as they came to watch the possible destruction of the library. His sharp eyes then noticed two specks in the distance, flying towards the town extremely fast. As they got closer, he made them out to be Princess Celestia, and Princess Luna. Without stopping to aknowledge the crowd of ponies, both dived into the library.

****Time****

The two princesses found Twilight in the basement of the library, and one swift buck from Princess Luna disrupted the carefully laid crystal array, causing the feedback of magic to cease. However, it was still several minutes before the magic had calmed down enough that the Princesses could actually enter the ring proper and check on Twilight. The young alicorn was smoking, her horn was actually glowing from overuse, but she was allright for the most part.

“I was,” coughed Twilight, “so close. Why’d you stop me?”

Princess Celestia stepped foward, and placed a gentle hoof on Twilight’s mane, speaking softly, “You were not yet ready for it. Your body was barely able to handle the transformation into an alicorn. In time, you may still be ready for the next step, but for now, rest, Twilight.”

Twilight took that as a cue to collapse, and she was asleep within seconds. Princess Celestia levitated her, and teleported them both to the local hospital, and then came back after checking Twilight in.

“There is no next step after alicorn, Celly,” said Luna, as the two studied the remains of Twilight’s array, “Unless, of course, you’re counting That.”

“I am,” said Celestia, “And Twilight is not ready to become part of Discord. Likely, she never will be.”

Author's Note:

Written for Prompt #378-‘Metamorphosis’
The Prompt: The next step beyond Alicorn

PreviousChapters Next