• Published 18th Apr 2013
  • 2,263 Views, 456 Comments

Ponywatching - ThunderTempest



Stories from TMP prompts

  • ...
4
 456
 2,263

PreviousChapters Next
Prompt #78: Unnecessary

It was done. Her sister was banished to the moon, and Nightmare Moon was contained. Princess Celestia allowed herself a minute to rest, the Elements of Harmony clinking to the ground around her. Dimly, she noticed that only five of them actually hit the ground. At the edge of her hearing, Celestia could tell that the guards were approaching at a gallop. They would need to be reassured. As would the rest of Equestria. They would need to know that the sun and moon were still under control.

Princess Celestia would have liked nothing more than to collapse upon her bed right then and there, but adrenaline was still buzzing through her system. She couldn’t have fallen asleep if she tried. With a sigh, she climbed back onto her hooves. There were things to be done. Sleep would have to wait.

********

Nightmare Moon hissed at the blue and green ball below her. How dare Celestia do this to her? It merely confirmed her suspicions; Celestia wanted all of the power for herself. She felt Celestia’s power grip the moon, pushing it below the horizon of Equestria, and Nightmare Moon tried to resist. The moon was hers, she should be able to control it, even here. But no matter how hard she pushed or pulled with her power, she couldn’t get the moon to resist Celestia’s power.

But perhaps she could do something else. She needed a way back to Equestria. If she pulled a few stars close enough, she should be able to break the binding keeping her on the moon. Nightmare Moon reached out with her magic, trying to feel out the extent of her cage. Yes, four stars should do it. It would be a long process, and it would require guidance. Constant guidance. She would be fine. She could be patient, and the waiting would just make the moment when she finally unleashed her rage upon Celestia all the sweeter. Then she could rest and slumber, when Celestia’s broken body laid at her hooves.

*********

Canterlot Castle was comfortable, Princess Cadence had to admit. But it wasn’t home. It wasn’t her castle, wherever it was. And no matter how comfortable the beds were, they always felt wrong, somehow. Or maybe it was just there was something wrong with her, because her country was missing, ripped from existence by Sombra. And while it was missing, she couldn’t ever stop searching for a way to bring it back, or what kind of a princess would she be?

So instead of sleeping, she stalked the halls of the Royal Canterlot Library, searching for anything that might help her restore her country. When the Crystal Empire came back, then she could rest. Assuming, of course, that Sombra didn’t come back with it. But her people, her country, had to be restored before she rested.

Author's Note:

Written for Prompt #78: "Beautiful Dreamers"

The prompt: Somepony just can't fall asleep, no matter what they try.

PreviousChapters Next