• Published 18th Apr 2013
  • 2,263 Views, 456 Comments

Ponywatching - ThunderTempest



Stories from TMP prompts

  • ...
4
 456
 2,263

PreviousChapters Next
Prompt #561-Competition

They had to argue. It wasn’t a case of if, but rather when, and when came around on an almost daily basis. Rarity sighed as she sat across from Fluttershy.

“I’m sorry, dear, what were you saying?”

“Oh, I was just wondering if everything was alright with you three. But if you don’t want to tell me, that’s fine,” said Fluttershy, fiddling with her tea cup.

“It’s nothing, Fluttershy. Just a lovers’ spat, is all,” Rarity levitated her own cup of tea, and took a long sip of the wonderful brew. But when she lowered her cup and opened her eyes, Fluttershy was staring at her with a rarely-shown intensity.

“Rarity,” began Fluttershy, her soft voice carrying an undercurrent of steel, “you’ve been fighting with Applejack and Rainbow Dash again, haven’t you?” It wasn’t really a question, but Rarity still answered.

“Honestly, that Applejack! Is it so hard for her to learn to wipe her hooves before she comes into the Boutique and track mud everywhere? And would it kill Rainbow Dash to learn to pick up after herself, instead of leaving everything simply scattered over the floor? Is it really too much to ask that when they come over to the Boutique that they follow a few simple rules? Honestly, those two.”

“Rarity,” said Fluttershy, her voice and eyes hard, “go and make up with Applejack and Rainbow Dash right this instant.”

“Okay,” squeaked out Rarity, standing up and leaving Fluttershy to clean up her tea cup. She trotted through the streets of Ponyville, heading for her Boutique, her anger with Rainbow and Applejack slowly returning. As she passed Sugarcube Corner, she could hear Pinkie inside through an open window.

“Don’t be such a massive frowny pants, Applejack!”

“I told ya I don’t want to talk about it, Pinkie,” was Applejack’s reply, evidently in full-blown stubborn farmer mode.

There was a whimper which Rarity should not have been able to hear, and Rarity guessed that Pinkie Pie had pulled out the puppy eyes.

“Fine,” groaned Applejack, “It’s Rainbow Dash. Where that gal gets off leavin’ her stuff scattered all over my room, I will never know. It’s like she don’t care about her stuff. Sure, I ain’t the cleanest pony in town, but I still take care of my things. And Rarity, she’s too afraid of getting any dirt or anythin’ on her to the point of insistin’ that we have to clean the whole house before she’ll come over.”

Knowing that she would be an unwelcome presence, Rarity left Applejack and Pinkie Pie in the bakery, and kept walking home. She managed to avoid the Golden Oaks Library, where Rainbow Dash would undoubtedly be, talking with Twilight. Rainbow did that sometimes, when she needed a more educated opinion, and Rarity could recognise the uncommon amount of sense behind that, especially considering that it had come from Rainbow Dash.

Reaching the Boutique, and knowing that her marefriends would not be back for several hours, Rarity headed up to her inspiration room, and locked herself in for a few hours of creative freedom.

[TIME]

The sun was setting when Rarity heard the door below open and close twice within a few minutes of each other, and sighed to herself. Luckily, Sweetie Belle was having a sleepover with Applebloom and Scootaloo at Scootaloo’s house, so the three didn’t have to worry about her.

Walking downstairs, Rarity was greeted with angry glares from both of her marefriends, and she gave one right back at them, and then the shouting began.

They had to argue. It was the only way the three could ever settle their differences-they were all far too competitive in their own ways for anything else to work.

Of course, they never really told anypony that they actually enjoyed the arguments, and that sometimes they argued for the sheer sake of what always happened at some point during them.

“And you, Applejack!” yelled Rarity, “Don’t think I’ve forgotten last week! Why, I have half a mind to-mph! Mmm...” Rainbow Dash had pushed forwards, her lips crashing onto Rarity’s, killing all further arguments and conversation, as the two collapsed onto the floor, and

Applejack tossed her hat onto a nearby ponyquin and joined the two.

The arguments were fun, but the make up makeouts were much more so.

Author's Note:

Written for Prompt #561:“A Trio of Lovers”
The Prompt: the perils and wonders of a three way relationship

I am bad at writing romance.

PreviousChapters Next