• Published 18th Apr 2013
  • 2,253 Views, 456 Comments

Ponywatching - ThunderTempest



Stories from TMP prompts

  • ...
4
 456
 2,253

PreviousChapters Next
Prompt #342-The First OR The Road To Hell, Part Two

The problem with travelling in Tartarus, aside from the occasional run-in with a vengeful spirit, was that there were no defined routes to get anywhere. The land was a mass of fire and ice and earth, and despite being underground, a blood moon hung overhead, lighting the land with a red glow. But this was Tartarus, and the normal rules didn’t apply, because otherwise Rainbow Dash would have simply flown to her friends. As she ran along the ground, avoiding pillars of fire that seemed to be made out of burning and wailing souls, she concentrated on rescuing the first of her friends. But which friend should she rescue first? That thought stopped the athletic Pegasus in her tracks. She’d never had to think about which pony she would save first, just knowing that she had to save them. Scowling to herself, she thought about it. Fluttershy, sad as it was, would probably have to wait until last. Rainbow hated even thinking that, as it felt like she was betraying her oldest friend, but the other Pegasus was not built for action, and would likely not take well to all the running around that they’d be doing. Rarity was in a similar situation. Pinkie Pie could keep up, but Rainbow wasn’t sure she could really be of much help. Applejack was in much better condition physically than perhaps even Rainbow herself, so that would be an advantage, but Twilight Sparkle had magic, which in the weird land that was Tartarus, could be a massive help. But then again, Tartarus had nullified her flight, so maybe it had nullified Twilight’s magic. Applejack it was, then. Fixing the earth pony farmer in her mind firmly, while offering up a silent apology to her other friends, Rainbow hurried onwards.

As Rainbow crested a ridge, she rolled to the side to avoid a sudden pillar of ice that landed from the sky and got pelted with small fragments for her trouble, she spotted the first of her friends, Applejack, in the valley below her. The Earth pony was just standing there, as if in a daze, and Princess Luna’s words once again came to mind.

“Ponies who are dragged into Tartarus unwillingly will not know they’re in Tartarus,” Princess Luna had told her, “Fortunately, simply touching them will break that spell, and then they’re free to help you.”

Running up to Applejack, Rainbow bushed a hoof along the farmer’s back. Applejack blinked three times, and suddenly noticed Rainbow Dash.

“RD? What the heck? Where am I? What is this place?” inquired the farmer.

“You’re in Tartarus, AJ. I’m here to get you out,” explained Rainbow Dash.

Author's Note:

Written for Prompt #342-'Action Plan'
The Prompt: Alpha Protocol

Yes, this is a continuation of Prompt 340-The Road to Hell.

PreviousChapters Next