• Published 18th Apr 2013
  • 2,248 Views, 456 Comments

Ponywatching - ThunderTempest



Stories from TMP prompts

  • ...
4
 456
 2,248

PreviousChapters Next
Legacy Prompt #40: Blessing

Twilight Sparkle trotted out of homestead on the Rock Farm where Pinkie had grown up. She was followed a second later by a burst of streamers and then Pinkie Pie herself.

“I had no idea that getting your father’s blessing would be such an ordeal,” sighed Twilight.

“My dad’s not so bad,” said Pinkie, “mom’s the super-traditional one. But distracting her is hard, so all of us little Pies need to be there.”
Twilight nuzzled up against her girlfriend.

“Still, at least that’s all done now. I guess I’m officially part of your family now.”

“Gaaasp!” Pinkie Pie gasped, “Oh my gosh Twilight I totally forgot to introduce you to Granny Pie we can’t get married until you meet Granny Pie!”

Twilight Sparkle blinked, and then shrugged. Dating Pinkie had been weird enough, learning to put up with all of Pinkie Pie’s numerous oddities had been tough, but Twilight Sparkle had gotten through it.

“It’s fine, Pinkie. I’ll meet your Granny Pie. Just tell me the time and place.”

“I’ll take you to her right away!” said Pinkie, bouncing forward and out into the fields. Only once she and Twilight were out of sight of the house did Pinkie stop, sit down, and put the most intense expression of concentration on her face.

Two seconds later, a glowing orange portal ripped itself into existence just in front of Pinkie Pie. And while Twilight Sparkle was sputtering about magic and impossibilities, tentacles composed of negative space and black light yanked her and her marefriend through the portal.

But it was at that point that Twilight Sparkle’s brain gave up on thinking for a while. At least until it decided that it could make sense of what the senses were telling it.

Pinkie let out an exultation of joy as the impossible tentacles pulled her and Twi through impossible existences.

******

“Oh, she’s waking up!” Twilight heard Pinkie say. “Sorry, Twilight. I forgot that the trip here is kinda rough, but it’s the only place where I can meet Granny Pie.”

Twilight opened her eyes. She appeared to be in a void that was entirely composed of alternating parts pink fluffy cotton candy and writhing, twisting, so-black-they’re-bending-light tentacles. Pinkie Pie was standing upside down on a patch of pink cloud.

“Where exactly are we?” asked Twilight. Pinkie replied with a spurt of unpronounceable consonants and clicks.

“Whoops,” said Pinkie with a sheepish grin, “It’s a sub-dimension where I can meet Granny Pie when she’s not slaying eldritch abominations! That’s really all you need to know, Twilight. And speaking of, here comes Granny Pie now!”

Space, if such a thing even existed here, twisted in impossible ways, and with a pop, there was a mare who bore a distinct resemblance to Pinkie Pie, except that she was white, and a pegasus. Twilight fought to surpress a shudder at the thought of a permanently airborne Pinkie. And it was immediately apparent that this was the real matriarch of the Pie family, not Pinkie’s mother. This was the mare who called the shots.

“So,” said the mare, “my granddaughter says that you want to marry her?”

Twilight blinked. Well, she certainly was direct.

“Yes,” said Twilight Sparkle, picking herself up off the floor, “Pinkie is the love of my life, Miss Pie. She makes me,”

“I don’t need to be convinced, Twilight,” said Granny Pie, a smile creeping onto her face, “I’ve heard much about you from Pinkie.” Pinkie nuzzled up against Granny Pie. “Certainly enough to understand how you make her feel. I have only one question, Miss Twilight Sparkle, Element of Magic and Princess of Friendship.”

“Yes?” asked Twilight, her breath catching in her throat.

“Will you be good to her?”

“Yes,” said Twilight.

“Excellent!” said Granny Pie, “Now, do you drink tea? It really has been too long since I caught up with my little cosmic horror here, and you should probably meet your future wife’s grandfather.”

As Pinkie Pie waved a hoof that was suddenly a tentacle, space twisted and popped again, and a much larger mass of tentacles made itself known.

“GrEEtINgs, TWilIgHT SParKle,” warbled the eldritch abomination, bypassing Twilight’s ears entirely and going straight into her brain, “I aM PiNKie PiE’s gRAndFATher, He WhO AbHOrs PhYSics.”

Twilight Sparkle blinked. That...explained a whole lot, actually. She sat down, and swirled her tea around her cup.

“Welcome to the Pie Family, Twilight Sparkle,” said Granny Pie, clinking her cup against Twilight’s.

After a moment’s pause, Twilight Sparkle drank her tea in the company of her girlfriend, a slayer of eldritch abominations, and one and a quarter eldritch abominations.

It was delicious.

Author's Note:

Written for Legacy Prompt #40, on the TMP Group Forums
The Prompt: Welcome to the family

This is what happens when I write Twinkie. You get eldritch abominations drinking tea.

PreviousChapters Next