• Published 18th Apr 2013
  • 2,253 Views, 456 Comments

Ponywatching - ThunderTempest



Stories from TMP prompts

  • ...
4
 456
 2,253

PreviousChapters Next
Prompt #25-Routine Disruptions

Twilight Sparkle was not a mare given to random bursts of excitement. She was cool, calm, logical and if you asked Rainbow Dash, the Princess of Eggheads. On the other hoof, though, Twilight Sparkle was creature of order and habit, and any disruption to her schedule and timetable was generally met with freak outs of varying degrees. These ranged all the way to ten-minute rants on why it was important to precisely know when she was meeting her friends for lunch to what Ponyville collectively referred to as ‘The Smarty Pants Incident’. Regardless of her penchant for order and organization, Twilight Sparkle was still a pony, and was thus prone to the occasional mistake, no matter how hard she tried to get rid of that annoying trait.

However, there was one thing that Twilight could always count on in her life, outside of her friends, and that was the mail. Not Spike’s dragonfire mail, because while that was perfectly efficient, it was also unpredictable; Twilight had lost count of the number of times that Princess Celestia had sent her a response at the most unpredictable times. No, Twilight liked the regular mail. She would have called it ‘snail mail’, as she’d heard other ponies call it, but Fluttershy was friends with snails, and Twilight didn’t want to upset the pegasus, because Fluttershy was also friends with snakes. Twilight did not like snakes.

The biggest reason that Twilight like the standard mail was, in fact, the mail mare, on Ditzy ‘Derpy Hooves’ Doo. Twilight could have set a clock by Ditzy’s route, because ever since she’d moved into the Golden Oaks Library, Ditzy had been showing up every morning at exactly 8:26 AM, and Twilight always answered the door on the second set of three knocks, because that was exactly how long it took her to walk from the kitchen in the library to the front door. This regularity was what attracted Twilgith to the slightly absent-minded pegasus in the first place-when Ditzy was on the clock, she was absolutely punctual, yet when she was off it, Ditzy was a loving mother and caretaker for Dinky and Twilight found that she still enjoyed the pegasus’s company.

And so, after many months of casual encounters and daily morning meetings, Twilight walked from her kitchen at 8:25 on a Tuesday morning, picking up a bundle of flowers from the counter, and opened the door.

“Morning, Twilight!” chirped Ditzy Doo, “Not much today.”

Ditzy fumbled through her mail bag, eventually emerging with a few letters in her mouth, which Twilight magically levitated them from Ditzy to inside the library. Then, with a blush beginning to form on her cheeks, she brought out the bundle of flowers, and presented them To Dizty.

“Ditzy, I’ve been wondering,” began Twilight, “would you like to go out together sometime? You know, go and have dinner somewhere?”

****Time****

Ditzy blinked a few time, and then a smile spread across her face, and she leaned foward and bit the blooms off the flowers. As she munched, Ditzy spoke.

“I’d love to go out some time, Twilight,” she said, and Twilight’s blush went from ‘just forming’ to ‘full-fledged’, and she fell backwards with a giant grin on her face.

Author's Note:

Written for Prompt #25: Derptastic Love
The Prompt: Ship Derpy with one of the Mane 6

Still not good at romance.

PreviousChapters Next