• Published 18th Apr 2013
  • 2,258 Views, 456 Comments

Ponywatching - ThunderTempest



Stories from TMP prompts

  • ...
4
 456
 2,258

PreviousChapters Next
Prompt #322-It Started So Innocently

It Started so Innocently...

It all started so innocently, you really couldn’t fathom how it had escalated this far, this quickly. You had begun your day just as usual, a quick brush of your mane and tail to get rid of bedmane, and when you had gone to brush your teeth, you found that the toothpaste had been replaced with cupcake frosting. More specifically, PINK cupcake frosting. Smart as you were, this did not take a genius to figure out who was responsible. You shook your head with a small smile. You hadn’t even heard Pinkie Pie come in during the night. Swilling some water around your mouth to get rid of morning breath before you went out, you levitated the day’s checklist and a quill over to you, and added toothpaste to the list of things you needed to buy today. Then, as you walked down the stairs, you found that replacing the toothpaste had not been the only thing that Pinkie had obviously done last night. A parcel full of sneezing powder had been left on the kitchen counter. The ink had been exchanged with vanishing ink. An apple pie had been shelved next to the Daring Do series. Wait, what? Turning to look again, your face scrunched up in confusion.

‘Why, in Celestia’s name was there an apple pie on the shelf next to the Daring Do series?’ you thought. Levitating the pie over and inspecting it had revealed it was a perfectly normal pie, probably baked by Applejack because you knew that Pinkie couldn’t bake a pie to save her life. Still, it was a perfectly good pie, no sense in letting it go to waste, and you set it aside for lunch. But then, as you had exited the door of your library home, a bucket of gold dust had fallen on you, covering you completely from horn to hoof. After freezing and twitching in place for a bit, trying desperately to prevent the onset of neurotic behaviour you knew was probably coming, you lifted one hoof up off the ground, took a deep breath, and exhaled, swiping the hoof to the side.

‘Better. Now, I suppose I’d better see Pinkie, and see what all this is about.’ This calm, logical thought calmed you, and you set off for Sugarcube Corner. However, the pranks didn’t stop outside your home. One of the apples you had bought from Applejack was a fake wooden one, painted to look real. An obviously fake turtle had sprayed water in her face. Once you finally reached the bakery where the pink party pony worked, you called out her name.

“Just a minute Twilight! I’m just tending to these last few cupcakes!” Soon enough, your friend was standing in front of you, trying her best not to laugh while her eyes watered up from the effort.

“Pinkie, why all these pranks now? It’s not even April Foals’ day!” you exclaimed, wanting to know what drove the pony to do all of this now, of all days.

“I’ve never pranked a Princess before, silly! Well, that and I wanted to show you that you were still one of our friends, even if you are a princess now. We all worked together on those pranks.”

Your face softened. You hadn’t known that they had been worried about the possible consequences of your new position. “Don’t worry, Pinkie,” you explained, “I’m not going anywhere if I can help it. I would never want to leave Ponyville or the girls behind.”

~~~time~~~~

“But Pinkie,” you asked, as the pony in question hugged you, “What was with the apple pie next to Daring Do?”

“Oh, That pie was made with liquid rainbow. Who ever eats it is going to get a spicy surprise!”

You giggled. All was right in Ponyville.

Author's Note:

This was written for Prompt #322-It's All About You.
I will note that this was written at half past five in the morning.

PreviousChapters Next