• Published 18th Apr 2013
  • 2,232 Views, 456 Comments

Ponywatching - ThunderTempest



Stories from TMP prompts

  • ...
4
 456
 2,232

PreviousChapters Next
Prompt #425-Rooftops At Twilight

The sun slowly sank over the horizon, dipping behind White Tail Woods and lighting everything with a dim orange glow. Octavia stood on the roof of her house in Ponyville, watching the sun as it traced its path through the sky. It was a little tricky to balance on the thatched roof, but this was not something that Octavia was inexperienced at. The same could not be said of her companion, though.

“Whoa!” cried Vinyl Scratch, as she overbalanced and nearly fell off the roof, only saving herself by throwing her front hooves over the peak of the roof.

“You know what?” said Vinyl, mostly talking to herself, “I’m just gonna stay like this.”

Octavia suppressed a giggle. Despite everything that everypony said, she did genuinely enjoy the DJ’s company, for a variety of reasons. As the twilight deepened, Octavia turned her back on the setting sun, and with some difficulty, Vinyl also turned herself around, adopting the same position facing the other way.

“Vinyl,” said Octavia, settling herself down on the ridge of the roof, “Did you know that Ponyville is reported to be the most affectionate town in all of Equestria? Ponies here aren’t afraid to show their love to their special someponies, no matter their gender or species.”

“Is that so?” said Vinyl. The unicorn’s horn lit up, and raised her glasses so they rested above her horn, revealing her magenta eyes, rarely seen outside the musicians’ shared house. The two were silent for a while, as the moon began to rise over the horizon, illuminating Ponyville in its soft light.

From their perch on the roof, the two could see much of the town. A few streets over, they could see that the lights in Golden Oaks library were still very much lit, signifying that Twilight Sparkle was probably on another all-night research binge. As the moon continued to rise, the lights in the town flickered off, one by one, until the only ponies awake were Octavia and Vinyl, still sitting on their rooftop, and Twilight Sparkle over in the library. Octavia stood up first, balancing easily on the peak of the roof. Vinyl followed, with slightly more trouble.

“Most affectionate city, you say, Tavi?” asked Vinyl, as she wobbled and eventually found her balance on the rooftop.

“Supposedly. You can’t believe everything you read, you know.”

Vinyl nodded, “Well then, I suppose that we should...” [TIME]

Vinyl was cut off from by a moan from the streets below. The unicorn moved carefully to the edge of the roof, and glanced down. Sure enough, she saw exactly what she was expecting to see.

“Zombie ponies,” monotoned Vinyl, turning to face Octavia, “Shall we?”

“Indeed,” replied Octavia. And with that, the two jumped off the roof of their house, and into the mob below.

She’s an overenthusiastic DJ. She’s a refined cellist. They fight zombie ponies.

Author's Note:

Written for Prompt #425-“We’ll Always Have Ponyville”
The Prompt: The City of Love.

PreviousChapters Next