• Published 18th Apr 2013
  • 2,250 Views, 456 Comments

Ponywatching - ThunderTempest



Stories from TMP prompts

  • ...
4
 456
 2,250

PreviousChapters Next
Prompt #480-Observer At The Top

Long have I lain atop of my mountain and watched what goes on below. I have long since passed the need for food, unlike so many of my younger kin. I feel no pull for the migration, nor do I need to collect wealth. It has been aeons since I last ventured out into the world, but I am content to lay here, and watch.

The ‘ponies’ who inhabit my world are delightfully amusing to watch. They scutter and scamper about, living in delightful bliss, unaware of my presence entirely. Only the two eldest, the white and the blue winged unicorns, even have an inkling of my existence. The City-On-Mountainside is the closest to my view, and it is here where the winged unicorn two reside as of recent days. But they do not attract my attention, for I have heard the whispers through the bones of the earth and on the winds-these two are, perhaps, to be respected, even feared. No, it is the mortals who have attracted my gaze, and in the City-On-Mountainside, they fight and clamber for dominance, but not with hoof, nor horn, nor magic, as they used to, but with words, and popularity, or perceived popularity. It reminds me of the old courts, when I was younger, and more mobile. I hated it, and for its similarity, I would burn the City-On-Mountainside first.

As my gaze turns to the south, and wanders further afield, I can see a small speck of a town. In my height, I would have called such a town a light snack. Still, it appears that it is an interesting place. I have lost count of how many times that town seems to have avoided disaster, and they drove off one of my younger kin who decided to nest on a nearby mountain. I would have given them a sign of my approval, but I have grown fond of this mountain, and had no wish to destroy my perch. As I watched, one of the structures in the Town-By-Forest lifted up in the air, and landed back down.

From here, on my mountain, I can see everything that goes on in this country. I can see Island-City, Desert-Town and many more besides. I watch the ponies not out of curiosity, but simply because it pleases me. I lay, and watch, and plot what I would burn first. The only thing keeping me from carrying out my plots and plans is that just when I think I have seen everything, the ponies below show me something new. It is delightfully fascinating to watch them.

Author's Note:

Written for Prompt #480: “A Little Overwhelmed And Slightly Confused, To Be Honest”
The prompt: Equestria seen through the eyes of an outsider.

Eh. This didn't come out quite right, I think.

PreviousChapters Next