• Published 18th Apr 2013
  • 2,253 Views, 456 Comments

Ponywatching - ThunderTempest



Stories from TMP prompts

  • ...
4
 456
 2,253

PreviousChapters Next
Prompt #386-Deciding Match

Pinkie Pie stared at the other pony. The other pony stared back at Pinkie Pie. Simultaneously, they tilted their heads to the side, eyes staying locked, not blinking. Blinking meant losing, and Pinkie didn’t want to lose. She didn’t want to go back in there if she could help it. In there were things that were best not spoken of.

Most ponies that experienced Pinkie Pie only ever saw the smiling, laughing party pony. But like an onion, there were layers to the pink pony. They also could make you cry if you dealt with them wrong, and Pinkie could do the same. So far, only Rainbow Dash had even gotten a glimpse of what lay beneath the outer shell of Pinkie. Ponies liked to say that she was random, but perhaps something closer to the truth was that sometimes, Pinkie’s mouth worked too fast for her brain to catch up. Having a split personality didn’t particularly help, either. And it was because of this condition of hers that Pinkie tried to remain as happy as possible, because she didn’t want her to come out again.


Pinkamena glared at the other pony. The other pony glared back. The two ponies lent foward at the same time, noses nearly touching. Neither one’s eyes even so much as fluttered. Pinkamena desperately tried not to blink, because if she blinked, that would mean she’d spend even more time locked inside that overly saccharine-sweet shell which she despised so much.

Very few ponies ever saw Pinkamena, and for that, she was grateful. Pinkamena was a loner by nature, a pony who liked solitude. She couldn’t stand being around large groups, small groups, or even just one other pony. Yet, she was constantly forced to endure being inside this silly pony, to put up with her permanently perky personality. She had to be content to just take the few chances to come out when she could. Being constantly surrounded by the usually happy pony’s thoughts was enough to drive anyone mad, and so Pinkamena had retaliated by doing her best to drive the party pony mad. Both ponies had succeeded.

“Doctor, are you sure she’s alright? She’s just been staring at the wall for the last ten minutes.”

“Pinkie Pie possesses a rather...unique condition, Princess Sparkle. She has the most developed case of Magical Split Personality Syndrome that I have ever seen. When she’s lucid, she describes her other personality as a ‘grumpy-meany pants pony, who doesn’t like parties.’ And from the few times I’ve met Pinkamena, as she calls herself, I would have to say I agree.”

“But why is she just sitting there? This is the most still I’ve ever seen her since I met her.”

“As she describes it to me, Pinkie Pie and Pinkamena decide who runs the body for the day by a staring contest. Ninety nine percent of the time, Pinkie wins. But when Pinkamena wins, like on the day you brought her here...Well, you saw what happened.”

*****Time*****

Pinkie Pie and Pinkamena stared at each other from opposite sides of the mirror, each following the other’s movements perfectly. Neither one smiled, because Pinkamena never smiled unless somepony else was miserable, and Pinkie because if she smiled, she might blink, and then Pinkamena would get out again.

“Stupid pony,” hissed Pinkamena, “give up already.”

“No way, you grump. You aren’t getting out again.”

Then they blinked, and then she was in control.

Author's Note:

Written for Prompt #386-'It's Not All Fun and Games'
The Prompt: Pinkie Pie isn't laughing.

Apparently, I like driving ponies insane.

PreviousChapters Next