• ...
51
 1,533
 5,539

PreviousChapters Next
Vydeokldt Rediostahr

"Hello, Twilight."

Twilight, whose head was currently held low just past the rail while a hoof on her mouth tried to help in preventing her from vomiting, slowly pulled herself back and turned towards the other. "Do we know each other?" she asked, studying the pony.

"No. I do know a Twilight Sparkle though. But she doesn't have wings or a horn, most of the time." The mare was busy trying to give her surprisingly long mane a shape with some hair ties.

Twilight just raised an eyebrow, pursing her lips to suppress another gagging fit.

The other's mane finally settled on what was probably the desired shape. "I'm Sugarcoat."

It took a moment for Twilight to actually process that. "Oh. Oh, right, Sunset wrote to me about you. I didn't realise you were coming today." She looked back inside the building, a little embarrassed. "It might not be the best time."

"Did someone die?" Sugarcoat asked the question almost emotionlessly, like she was asking about the weather or about the most boring and trivial of matters. She looked towards Twilight, a flat and calm expression on her face.

"Not exactly." Twilight stood a little straighter. She didn't want to traumatise someone on their first meeting, but the other seemed weirdly unfazed by the possibility. "Why do you ask?"

"I can smell it on you."

"Oh." Twilight's cheeks went a shade darker again. "I'm sorry about that. Yeah, it was something along those lines."

"What exactly is it about?" Sugarcoat adjusted her glasses with a hoof. "Or is it classified information?"

Twilight looked up for moment, frowning in thought. She decided there was no harm in telling the other about it. A piece of the whole story, at least. "I'm sure you will believe me if I tell you parallel universes exist, right?"

Sugacoat's silence and unchanging expression were an effective answer, though one that made Twilight regret the attempt at humour.

"It turns out some are less friendly places than others. And someone decided to..." Twilight actually had to pause for a moment, her brief academic excitement strangled by remembering what she was actually talking about. "Well, let's just say you don't want to go into that room with the guards in front of it. It wasn't anypony from this world, but still someone."

"Knowing there are worse universes than my own is oddly reassuring in a way I feel it shouldn't be." Sugarcoat turned and began to walk away from the balcony, following the direction Twilight herself had seemed intent on going towards.

Twilight walked beside her. "Have you been enjoying your time here?" she asked, trying to bring the conversation back onto happier themes.

"Yes," said Sugarcoat, in a tone that did not line up with the word. "Cadence gave me a brief tour of the place. Your Cadence. Our Cadence doesn't have wings. I suppose it's still better than demonic bat-like wings though." She was silent for a moment. "I'm bad at telling jokes, so I mostly don't, and as a result I never get better at it."

Twilight looked puzzled. "No, I guess that one was okay. It's the timing you should be working on." She pursed her lips. "Are you alright?"

Sugarcoat didn't turn as she answered. "I'm being crushed by guilt thinking about how a version of Twilight that had a proper group of friends to support her through her life became the leader of a nation while all I did for mine was pressure her and be mean to her until she snapped and almost destroyed the world. But aside from that, being a horse is very nice."

Author's Note:

Proofreading by IncongruousAndHarmonious

PreviousChapters Next