• ...
51
 1,533
 5,538

PreviousChapters Next
Controller

Blades of light pierced through the darkness of the room, and came to stab Lightning Dust right in her eyes. The pegasus threw the covers over her face, muttering and cursing her past self for not closing the blinds all the way. But she knew she'd get up just moments later. She was like that, once she woke up she wasn't comfortable lying in bed. And it would have bothered her greatly to waste the whole day sleeping. That was the reason she never closed the blinds all the way.

With a flap of her wings her covers were sent into the air, and by the time they fell down on the mattress with a thud she'd already left the bed. She moved pretty fast for the first five seconds, then the migraine hit and she had to slow down. She stared at the floor below her, waiting for it to stop dancing and spinning, chewing on the thick and viscous nothingness that filled her mouth. She pondered her options for a moment, then sighed.

"I know you're there!" she yelled, her voice raspy and a bit painful against her dry throat. "And I know you've got a copy of the keys. Come in." Then, she waited, comfortable with the knowledge that if the unicorn wasn't actually there then there would be no reason to get embarrassed. Sure, maybe the neighbours heard, but they heard her screaming nonsense halfway between midnight and dawn when she was carried back home drunk and on drugs. She had no more dignity to lose with them.

It turned out the guard was there. Just a moment later Lightning heard the click of the key turning, and a moment later the clack of the door opening. She looked up to see the stallion walk inside and look back at her. He wasn't wearing any armour, a rare sight for her. Not that she was ever in a condition to get a proper look at him when he was wearing one. "Why the fuck are you here?" she asked, coughing. "This is outside of your work hours. They don't pay you for watching over my ass when I'm sober. Don't waste your time."

"If I don't watch over your allegedly sober ass, I fear there won't be an ass left for me to watch over when it's drunk. As far as I'm concerned this is still part of my job. And I quite like my job. I spend hours doing nothing, and that's a lot better than what some others get." He closed the door behind himself. "So, why exactly did you call me in?"

"I know how to take care of myself, colt. Don't think there's anything out there I need your help with protecting me from." She pointed at the cupboard below the sink. "I keep a bottle in there for hangovers. I don't feel like walking to it right now."

"You're a strong mare, Lightning, and everyone knows that. And it's exactly why your own self is the biggest danger you're facing. Or something like that, they don't pay me to come up with good quotes." The unicorn walked up to the cupboard and opened it with his magic, then he leaned down to have a look inside. "These are all cleaning products."

Lightning shrugged. "I'm sure any one of them will do fine."

PreviousChapters Next