• ...
51
 1,533
 5,539

PreviousChapters Next
Sirens

"This is all very interesting," Twilight said, looking over the notebook she held in her magic.

Sweetie Belle shifted in her seat. "It is? It all just seems kind of random to me. Is there anything you can figure out from there?"

"Yes, actually." Twilight stopped her back and forth pacing and turned back towards the unicorn. "Everything here is consistent, time-wise, and happening when it should."

Sweetie raised an eyebrow. "That means?"

"The things you get visions of are things you'd expect to be happening when you get those visions. Ponies eating at around midday or during the evening is the biggest giveaway there. House chores and walks in the afternoon, sleeping during the morning in the weekend, that kind of stuff," Twilight explained. "It's not conclusive evidence, but it does strongly point towards the idea that what you're seeing is really happening as you are seeing it, or at least somewhen close to it."

"So I can see what others are doing?" Sweetie recoiled for a moment. "I'm spying on them?"

Twilight had meanwhile gone back to reading through the entries in the notebook. "If you want to put it like that. But you don't have any control over it at this point, you shouldn't feel bad about it."

"And can I learn to control it?" Sweetie Belle asked.

"That's what we're here for," Twilight replied. "But first, we need to make sure we know exactly what's happening here." She paused, her eyes focusing on one specific entry on the page in front of her. Then she walked towards Sweetie's end of the table.

"What is it?" Sweetie asked, looking at Twilight.

"This one here." Twilight held the notebook up in front of Sweetie Belle's face, pointing with a hoof at a specific line on the page. "Is it correct?"

"Of course it is," said Sweetie, a little bothered by the question, as she looked over her own writing.

"The exact time and everything?" Twilight pressed on.

Sweetie nodded, saying, "Yeah. It was in my room, I had a clock nearby."

"Just making sure," said Twilight, pulling away the notebook. Then she closed it and set it down on the table. "I'll be gone for a bit, maybe a few minutes. It shouldn't be more than that. I need to check something."

Sweetie didn't have a chance to ask what Twilight meant, as the alicorn had already disappeared in a flash of magic. Instead she was left there waiting, alone, humming to herself to pass the time until Twilight's reappearance a few minutes later. "Did you go visit Celestia?" Sweetie asked immediately.

Twilight nodded, though she seemed strangely intent on staring at the tip of her hoof. She blew some white hair away from it, then shook her head. "I did. And it looks like my guess was correct. It's a stroke of luck that you saw something we could check so soon, but it was going to happen sooner or later."

"So what now?" asked Sweetie Belle.

PreviousChapters Next