• ...
51
 1,533
 5,538

PreviousChapters Next
Vot

Twilight stared at the mirror spell in front of her aimed at the space just past the corner of the building she was hiding behind, showing the street at its side and at the end of it Stella standing in the middle of the rubble she'd created. Getting her angry was useful, but not enough to get an opening. In her current state, Twilight couldn't try to approach her stealthily, she'd be unable to act quickly enough and get spotted too soon, especially in the open like that. She could try to draw Stella into the narrower streets, but odds of succeeding in that were slim. What she really needed was a way to get back to the others and the place she'd prepared, but running away wasn't an option.

"I'm waiting," Stella said, her voice taunting her. She seemed to be somewhat calm again. Twilight sent a spark up several buildings away, but Stella merely looked at it, without acting. Twilight's breathing grew heavier. Stella was figuring her out. She could try sending up a sign at her position and hope Stella didn't shoot there and assumed it was more misdirection, but right after seeing she was aware of what game they were playing that was a risky move the other could anticipate and call out.

The only saving grace of their situation was the fact that Stella wasn't hiding. It made sense. She didn't think she needed to, and she didn't want to at that point. She didn't want to cheat either. What she wanted was a fair fight, by all means, and Twilight knew she couldn't give her that. She would have lost against her. She had moral reasons enough for getting her friends to help her out, but even without those it was still a necessity if she wanted to actually win. To stand a chance, at least, as their presence alone didn't guarantee Stella would lose.

A thought occurred to Twilight. Several thoughts all at once, actually, as she thought back on everything about Stella and about her current situation and the place they were in and what the other wanted and how things had gotten the way they had. She had a plan. A dangerous plan, one she wasn't sure would work, one that would have pretty bad consequences even if it did work. But it was better than nothing, and time was running out. Twilight stepped out from her hiding place.

Stella's eyes immediately settled on her, and though her horn was glowing she did not immediately fire. She watched the alicorn walking towards her, ready to strike at any abrupt movement, but she held her fire. As Twilight had guessed she would. She was tempting Stella with a straightforward confrontation, and the other wouldn't turn down that possibility. Whatever she was, whatever reason was behind the way she looked, whatever Chrysalis had done, it was clear the pony, if she was one, was obsessed, compromisingly so, with proving herself superior to Twilight.

PreviousChapters Next