• ...
51
 1,533
 5,537

PreviousChapters Next
Dog

The blow and the shock of it were enough to offset Stella's balance, and her horn angling itself a different way led to Twilight's spell overtaking hers, forcing her to let go of Twilight's neck and move back and downwards. Twilight used that pause to cast another spell, not towards Stella but towards the ground below them.

In a moment dozens of sigils hidden beneath the dust and sand lit up in lavender colours, and ethereal chains of huge, heavy links shot skyward aimed at Stella. They crossed the distance at blazing speed, but not fast enough for Stella not to react to them. Her horn lit up and a sphere of crackling energy formed around her, and all chains immediately lost their momentum when passing through its surface, then falling back down to the ground. "Trying to use my own spells against me, Twilight?"

Shocked at the scene even if she quickly understood the implications, Twilight immediately fired a more conventional spell at Stella. If the other wasn't going to stop and talk, she could try to force her into it. Unfortunately for her, her spell too slid useless against Stella's shield as the alicorn channeled more magic into it. Twilight did the same, pouring more power into her horn, but Stella held her position and began to push back with a beam of her own, making its way out of her bubble and slowly gaining over Twilight's. "Why?" Twilight tried to plead with the other again. "What are you getting out of this? What is anyone getting out of this? I can give you whatever recognition you want, but please let us stop before we hurt others."

Stella's beam gained in an instant more than it previously had as a whole. The alicorn's eyes were smouldering embers and arches of built up energy were crackling within her sphere. "I don't need your recognition," she growled. "I don't need your pity!" The flow from her horn grew wider, and Twilight went from pushing against it to desperately trying to hold it back.

Lightning came from the ground towards Stella. Rocks both huge and small followed it, and blasts of magic and other projectiles too. It all crashed uselessly against her shield, not making past it, not moving it and the one inside it a single millimetre. Stella's spell got closer and closer to Twilight, and the alicorn, seeing no alternative, let go of her beam and turned her magic to a shield instead.

She was quickly pushed all the way to the ground by Stella's blast, and her protective spell barely held around her. The sand surrounding her turned to glass and her shield began to crack as Stella kept firing, obscuring all of Twilight's vision. She swallowed, her whole body tensed up, aware she couldn't hold on much longer than that. She closed her eyes, and chose to do the only thing she could think of that would afford them a chance to make things right. "You win."

PreviousChapters Next