• ...
51
 1,533
 5,538

PreviousChapters Next
Scrawling

"Tired?"

"Very." Lyra's words were hardly audible, half muffled by the pillow she half laid her head upon. She kept her back turned away from the room and away from Bon Bon, though purely because that meant she wasn't looking at the candle illuminating it either. The room itself was more like a tent, a temporary abode put up to house them during the night. They could have returned home through portals, but they'd chosen against that for the time being. They weren't sure how long they'd stick around the Empire, but at least for that night they would stay there.

Bon Bon leaned into her chair until the joints in her back popped, then sighed. "Me too." There was an empty bed waiting for her. She was debating moving it to sit next to Lyra's. The day had been draining to say the least, but she just couldn't get herself to fall asleep yet, she knew if she got in bed then she'd just keep turning around. It wasn't like being tired after a hard day of work, the excitement of everything they'd gone through meant she was too nervous and aware still to collapse. But hopefully it would go away soon. She did wonder why it wasn't the same for Lyra. She realised she could just ask her. "How come you're already all ready to drop? I thought all that adrenaline would keep you up too."

"I've been up for longer than you." Even with the light still on, the way Lyra enunciated made it apparent that she was already falling asleep.

Bon Bon was sleepy enough to take a few seconds to process those words. Frowning she said, "No. We woke up at the same time. We all did, Luna helped with sleep and stuff."

"After that," Lyra said.

Bon Bon frowned again. "That doesn't... Oh! Right. Your coil." She yawned. "So you're more tired because of that, then?"

"For one, I'm tired because of using it," Lyra said. She sounded a little more awake as she explained herself. "But also, it means today I've been up for I think a couple hours more than you. Not physically, I don't think that carries over since wounds don't, but mentally it does." She too yawned, louder and deeper than Bon Bon. "I'm you in a couple hours. Now can you turn off the light, please?"

Bon Bon sighed. She looked at the candle, then got off her chair and snuffed it out. Lyra gave a muffled sound that was probably meant to be a kind of thanks. Bon Bon quietly got to her bed. She knew she'd be spinning around in it awhile, so she decided against moving it closer to where Lyra was. She didn't want to disturb her. She hoped the unicorn wouldn't start to snore. She usually didn't snore, but sometimes she did, and she hoped that wouldn't be one of those days with the new bed and all. It would not be a good night for Lyra to snore.

PreviousChapters Next