• ...
51
 1,533
 5,538

PreviousChapters Next
1N51D3

Applejack sat, on her spot on the train, looking out the window as the city slowly gave way to open fields. Her arms dug deep into the pockets of her coat, one hand balled up while the other's fingers clutched her phone almost too hard. Every once in a while, she could feel it buzz and shake, but she refused to take it out and look at it.

The snow on her coat was slowly starting to melt. By the time she got to her destination, it might have dried entirely. It looked like it was snowing less outside too, or maybe it was just because they were moving. The fields were covered in white, and they'd probably have quite a bit of snow on them the morning after.

The Sun was almost down at that point. From where she was, she could almost make out the orange lights of the sunset on the opposite side, reflecting on the glass alongside her own face. She tried to get her eyes to focus on what was outside again, though it was getting harder the darker things became there. Her phone buzzed again.

This time, it didn't stop. She tried to ignore it for a few moments, then bit the inside of her lower lip. She gave a look around. Only a few other people there, and none seemed interested in her. Slowly, she took out the phone and stared at the screen. Her thumb moved over it, but then she hesitated. And after a moment, she slid the phone back into her pocket, where it buzzed a while longer before finally stopping.

She could always call or write to them later. When she was finally done getting things sorted out. But she may be too tired at that point, so perhaps the day after. And not the morning, she would be busy getting everything set up. She'd see about the afternoon, about whether she had time for it, or if she'd have to move it to the evening. If she wasn't too tired then, of course.

Her head softly hit the glass. It was easier to look outside that way, and impossible to see her whole face reflected in it. Not that there was much to see outside. It was too dark, and the sky was covered in clouds. At most, she could spot a few white flakes streaking by just outside the window, and maybe one or two clinging to the glass and starting to melt there.

And the snowflakes would melt and turn to drops of water, and the water would slide down the window and disappear from sight. And the way she was sitting, with her head against the glass, with her coat still on and the snow on it melting too, no one would notice if some of those drops were on the inside instead, no one would question them even if they did notice.

At that point though, she wouldn't have cared about it either way.

Author's Note:

Proofreading by IncongruousAndHarmonious

PreviousChapters Next