• ...
51
 1,533
 5,537

PreviousChapters Next
A Rock and a Sharp Place - Part 3

Stone sat down in front of Soarin'. Still a touch confused, he took a better look at the note he'd received from the unseen pony. "Valid for one party or musical number at a valid time of your choice. Parties and musical numbers can only take place outside of Sugarcube Edge's working hours. Cannot be traded, sold, or used for a musical number or party dedicated to someone other than yourself. Redeem this ticket by contacting Pinkie Pie. In case the ticket is lost, you can receive a replacement ticket by contacting Pinkie Pie," he read from the piece of paper. Then he looked up at Soarin', still just as confused as he'd been.

"I would have loved to throw you a party or a song when you arrived, but that has been harder to do since I started working here more often," a voice said to his right. "Speaking of which, may I take your orders?"

Startled, Stone Brick turned, seeing a pink mare standing there near their table, a notepad in her hooves and a pencil behind her ear. By the sound of her voice, she was the same pony who'd been hiding underneath a pile of plates just moments before.

Soarin' cut in through Stone's momentary silence, quickly enough for it to not become awkward. "Just bring us whatever the day's special is, Pinkie."

"On it!" Pinkie gave a salute and marched back towards what was presumably the kitchen.

Turning back to his companion, the earth pony asked, "So what's the deal with this place? And with her?"

"Pinkie is like that. Just accept it." Soarin' laid back in his seat. Talking against the background noise of the other clients' chit-chat, he continued, "As for Sugarcube, it used to be just a bakery and confectionery. And it used to have its own building, too. A really pretty thing, looked sorta like a giant cupcake. Unfortunately it had to be taken down after the Behemoth, it wasn't holding together."

Looking around the place, Stone nodded along, signalling the other to keep going.

"All kinds of business had trouble after the Behemoth, some more than others. Sugarcube's owners needed a new place to make and sell their stuff, and the owners of the restaurant that used to be here needed help repairing the building and staying financially afloat. So they made a deal, combined their businesses, and picked Sugarcube Corner as the name for brand recognition." Soarin' sat straight again.

"And why does that Pinkie girl keep calling it Sugarcube Edge?"

A bowl landed in front of Stone Brick. "It's because we're not on a corner anymore," Pinkie said, setting down an identical bowl in front of Soarin'. "Sugarcube Corner used to be at a street corner, but now we're not. So now it's Sugarcube Edge."

Stone looked at the contents of the bowl for a moment. They were indecipherable, but anything with a smell that good he would have eaten blindfolded. "Shouldn't it be Sugarcube Side then, since you're on the side of the road now?"

Pinkie gave a shrug. "I prefer the sharper name."

Author's Note:

Proofreading by IncongruousAndHarmonious

PreviousChapters Next