• ...
51
 1,533
 5,539

PreviousChapters Next
Of Shortsighted Fools

Chrysalis stumbled back, confused and frightened.

"But don't think this side is safe for you either."

She started running down the corridor, as Twilight reappeared out of the portal behind her. She ignored the few ponies who noticed her running, intent only on making it to the castle's doors. Wanting only to leave. But she skidded to a halt as those doors came into view, as lying down in front of them was Stellaria, her horn lit and a smirk on her face.

Her breath barely distinguishable from a spasmodic twitch of her body at that point, Chrysalis muttered something that didn't quite amount to words, and turned around to run in the opposite direction. She saw the real Twilight coming down the hallway towards her, but she didn't care about her.

She did care about Stella, who suddenly appeared again, leaning against a wall about halfway between her and Twilight and looking at the changeling with her same usual smile. Chrysalis, desperate, dove into the first door she found and stumbled into the laboratory. She all but crashed into a table, and tumbled to the floor, shaking, muttering incoherent sounds.

She heard ponies rushing around her, some towards her and others away from her. But the first face that popped into her field of vision, replacing the view of the ceiling that filled her eyes, was one she knew well. Starlight leaned down towards the changeling's face, eyes wide and confused, asking incredulous, "Chrysalis?"

Still panting, her heart still beating way too fast, Chrysalis tried to untangle herself from her own limbs. Her head and horn hurt, and she was confident she'd bent one of her wings at one point or another. She tried to speak, not an easy task through her clattering teeth and her general shaking. But she did manage to force out something. "Help me," she pushed out between stammers, as the doors to the laboratory opened again and Twilight walked in, calling her name. "Please, help me."

Starlight's expression grew more confused, but there was something else too in her eyes. She was willing to help the changeling, seeing her in that state. Chrysalis never had a chance to notice that, though. Another face entered her vision, a familiar smile on it, and she began to scream and kick out as she tried to get back to her hooves.

"They can't save you, you know? Not from me."

Chrysalis was standing again, hyperventilating as she looked around the room. Starlight had reeled back, and held a hoof over her nose, where one of Chrysalis's kicks had connected. Twilight was in front of the exit, wings and front legs spread, horn ready.

"Do you really want to stay here, mommy? I don't mind. We can have so much fun playing together," the voice rang in Chrysalis's ears alone.

She might have screamed, in another situation. But all that came out of her mouth was a croaking, hoarse and desperate hiss, her throat too dry for any yelling. She stumbled and stared around, like a drunk pony who doesn't even know where they are anymore.

And then she saw the light. Paying no heed to Starlight's scream, nor to the banging of Twilight's hooves, Chrysalis stepped through the portal in front of her.

PreviousChapters Next