• ...
51
 1,533
 5,539

PreviousChapters Next
Hatone

"We need to talk."

Twilight looked up from her notes. "That's why you're here, I assume." She looked at the clock on the wall. It was getting close to noon, and warm light shone in through the window, dampened only slightly by the white curtains hanging from above it. "I have some time, but not too long. What is it?"

Trixie walked forward and took an uninvited seat onto one of the padded chairs in front of Twilight's desk. Twilight did not complain or show any signs of being bothered by that. "I should not have been there during the battle," Trixie said, looking downwards.

Twilight looked at her. Her expression was neutral, but not cold. "You shouldn't have been there," she agreed, without mocking the unicorn for it. "Why are you here?" She tried to make her tone feel like she wasn't rushing Trixie, but she did still wish for her to get to the point.

"I was a dead weight there." Trixie looked up beneath her hat, making it clear to Twilight she was getting there by the way she looked at her. "Sunburst has his coil, and Starlight is Starlight. I'm not even on the same level as a guard. I'm not without talent, of course, but when it comes to a battlefield I'm by all means a civilian."

"But." It wasn't a question. Twilight just knew there was a but coming.

"It can be different." Trixie sat straight and looked Twilight in the eyes. "There's a way I can help when something like this happens, and I want to help. I don't want to sit aside while my friends are out there. I know that's what most ponies will do and I don't think any less of them for it, but it's not for me."

Twilight looked at Trixie. A few seconds passed. She knew what the mare was there for. "Give me a good reason."

"You're not doing anything with it," Trixie began. "You'll need all the help you can get going forward, because sooner or later something else will happen. It's a gamble worth taking and I'm your best shot at it." She swallowed, but still held Twilight's gaze. "I think I can do it. I think I can control it. I know you're thinking it's not worth the risk. I'm asking you to trust me."

Twilight looked at her still. A minute passed by in silence. "I'll think about it," she eventually said. "I'll think of the best possible way to go about it, and I'll think about whether or not I would trust you under those circumstances, and whether or not it would be worth the risks involved." She looked down to her notes again. "You can go now. I'll contact you when I've made my choice."

Trixie nodded in silence. She stood up, walked away, and quietly closed the door behind herself as she left the room. Once she was gone, Twilight let go of her notes again, and for another minute she stared at the chair the unicorn had been sitting in, thinking. Then she grabbed clear parchment and a quill, and began to write.

PreviousChapters Next