• ...
51
 1,533
 5,539

PreviousChapters Next
Vox

Stella was shivering. It was hard to see, she wasn't close enough to anyone for it to be immediately evident. It was less hard to hear, coming through the slight quiver in her voice when she spoke again. "Stop it," she said, sounding vaguely hurt. More firmly, louder, she repeated, "Stop it." Her horn lit again, brighter than before. She fired a beam just to the side of Twilight's head, wiping away the edges of her mane there and continuing off into the distance. Again Twilight was motionless and silent in the face of her attack.

Stella wasn't having it. She teleported in front of Twilight, dispelling her shield, and began to charge up another blast near the alicorn's face. Twilight was growing a little more relaxed. The pain of her wounds settled in, but the shock of the situation was fading, and she was able to be calmer. Her breathing was slow and even, slightly contained not to hurt against her broken ribs. She stared at Stella's eyes as the other gathered her magic, as the sphere of energy above them grew wider and wider. Twilight didn't even look at it. She just stared at Stella, without a hint of hesitation.

Stella stared back. Her expression moved from rage to confusion. Her eyes faltered, and she looked down. The light of her magic began to dissipate as her spell unravelled itself, as she let go of her hold on it. She looked to Twilight again, eyes wide. "Why?" she asked between her teeth, too quiet for anyone but Twilight to hear her. She took half a step back, then forward, she raised her neck and left her chest exposed. "Come on," she hissed. "If this is what you wanted then hit me! I can take it."

Twilight didn't move, aside from her mouth. "I won't. I'm not going to fight you anymore. I've already lost, and I would only risk hurting others, my country, and you. We can talk now if you want to. Or you can kill me and take my place." She didn't properly smile, and her expression wasn't happy, but her lips were still just slightly more upturned than not. It was an accepting look. One understanding of the situation. An awareness that things were not good, but they were the best she could make them, and that would do.

Stella looked into Twilight's eyes. Her shaking had become more noticeable, and it was hard to tell, but she looked like she was about to cry. "You are not better than me," she said slowly, voice cracking.

"No one needs to be better than anyone. We can be together." Twilight's expression grew just a bit closer to a smile.

Stella took a step back. Then another. She looked at Twilight. She saw something else. Light, gleaming white and sparkling crystal, reaching towards her and searing pain. Down to her own shadow, shapeless blackness stretching longer, puppeting her limbs. She screamed, and her horn lit up again.

PreviousChapters Next