• ...
51
 1,533
 5,538

PreviousChapters Next
A Little Less

"Worried?"

Shining silently stared at the ceiling for a bit before answering, "Some months ago, a creature unlike anything we've ever seen suddenly appeared in the capital of Equestria to wreak havoc in it and cause damage felt across the entire country, the resulting shockwaves somehow enough to make whatever happened with the Wall happen. The only nights I haven't gone to bed at least partly worried since have been the ones when I was too tired to."

Looking at the ceiling herself, Cadence scooted a little closer to her husband. She moved her wing until it was under his neck, its tip past it, and used it to give him something close to a hug. "But it's a different kind of worry now, isn't it?"

"Right," Shining agreed. He too scooted closer to Cadence, until their bodies were almost touching. He'd known his wife enough to know that her not stopping him meant he was clear to go on whatever rant was on his mind. "We've always been mostly reliant on the Heart as a line of defense for things coming from outside. Not a perfect one, but at least enough to buy some time. Sombra doesn't count."

"Why doesn't that time count, again?" asked Cadence.

"It just doesn't." Shining cleared his throat. "Anyway. The point is that now we know they can just send something directly inside the Empire, completely under our nose. Imagine if they sent something inside a house, maybe at night. We can't just move everyone away, either."

Cadence moved even closer, until she was pressed against Shining. "I'm sure Twilight is already working on a potential solution to the problem."

"I know she is, and I know she can do it," Shining replied. "But what if she's not fast enough? What if something happens before she has a solution ready?"

PreviousChapters Next