• ...
51
 1,533
 5,539

PreviousChapters Next
Infinite Shapes Most Dreadful - Part 5

"On it." Rainbow Dash, the one from Pinkie's dream, readied her legs and wings and prepared to take off.

Rainbow Dash, the real one, did the same next to her. "I'm ready whenever you are," she said, tilting her sword.

The other Rainbow's answer to that was to take flight towards the creature. She flew over its body and almost up to the torso on its tail, then turned upwards and flew back, upside-down for a few moments until she spun around to fix that.

The real Rainbow wasn't far behind her. While the creature was still confused and trying to make sense of the cyan blur that had streaked so close to its mouths, she swooped in from the same direction her other self had arrived in. Only she moved to the side rather than turning back, and flew past the nightmare's torso. Her sword, outstretched beside her wing, struck it as she moved out of the monster's reach.

It bounced back.

Shocked, Rainbow pirouetted out of the way of an incoming bite, as her sword magically levitated back to her side. "This thing's tough," she yelled towards her dream self, meanwhile hovering back to make sure she was out of danger.

The creature seemed to be focusing on both of the pegasi. Its front end peered at one Rainbow with its claws, while the torso upon its tail turned in the other's direction and tensed its arms, breathing slowly.

"Do you think you can hurt it if you get that sword inside one of its mouths?" the armourless Rainbow asked, flying a little higher than what the monster could reasonably reach.

"Maybe, but I'd rather not have to try," the other Rainbow replied. She checked her sword for any signs of damage, but as it should have been there were none, as the blade kept itself sharp on its own. "This thing is supposed to work against nightmares anyway."

"I'll try something a little more blunt." The fake Dash began to rise in the air. "Get me out of the way after I'm done."

Rainbow didn't get a chance to ask herself what she meant, but she understood it pretty well once she saw it. Which only happened a moment later, as a rainbow streak plunged down from the sky at blinding speed and rammed into the middle of the nightmare's main centipede-like body. The real Rainbow dashed into her other self and carried her away a second before both of the monster's mouths snapped shut over the space she'd been occupying.

"Did it work?" asked one Rainbow to the other.

The armoured one turned to study the monster. "I'd say you at least hurt it by the way it shrieked, but I don't know if it did much beyond that. I don't see any cracks."

The Rainbow from Pinkie's dream bit her lower lip, then eyed the floating sword at her other self's side. "I think I've got an idea," she said, getting back to her hooves.

PreviousChapters Next